Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Just Curious

With both index fingers. I achieved some speed that way.!!
NTtps4G.gif

By the time I registered for classes the typing classes were always full, so I had to develop the superior two finger method I currently employ.

One year of touch typing in high school, 1980. We used the IBM Selectric:

IBM_Selectric.jpg

After a semester, the teacher covered up the letters on the keys. I was nowhere near the top of the class, but I'm very happy I took it.

Since then, two things served to increase my typing speed:

(1) Amateur ("Ham") radio and Morse code. I was really into amateur radio for a number of years (still am, but my interests are more in digital now), and I got so I could copy Morse code at close to 30 words per minute in the early to mid 1990s. Trouble is, I couldn't keep pen & paper notes fast enough, so I switched to keyboard copying.

(2) Everquest. In the early days of EQ, not many people were using headsets and mics to communicate during normal play and raids. I got really good at fast keyboard typing.

Even now, I consider myself a "keyboard snob". I love mechanical keyboards, can't stand most laptop keyboards, and consider the IBM Model M the greatest computer keyboard ever.

Oh man I used to work with a guy that would only use those keyboards. The are loud!!

Indeed they are. Which is why I no longer use mine, due to objections from my better half. Instead I content myself with the much quieter Matias "Quiet Pro".

I still have my IBM Type M "on reserve"!

Do new computers still have a compatible keyboard connector? Do you still have a keyboard to usb adapter? I am pretty sure I saw one in a draw the other day :)

Hmm, I just glanced at the back of mine and it appears to have one of those small PS2 connectors. The Model M used the older, larger connector, and yes, it requires an adapter. Mine's in a box in the basement, in order to keep peace in the household. ;-)

Back