Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Sale on Command Ops 2 modules

Absolutely do so. The free scenario's will keep you busy. Don't buy until you're ready for and really want more. Enjoy and good luck.
I noticed there are 3 volumes that are focused on the Battle of the Bulge? Which of the three would you recommend? In the Market Garden volume, can you plan your own drop zones or are you limited to the historical DZ's?

@Badger73 : Check if your MSI came with the sound program Nahimic. If it does, try running CO2 with it disabled. It blocks all CM exe to load for me. Otherwise, in the autostart turn off all apps that are not absolutely necessary. I suspect that niche games from small devs sometimes conflict with apps/processes.
For what it's worth.
Using a MSI gaming PC running Nahimic on Win10, I could not get the pre-Steam game to run on my machine. The "exe" would fail. Following @rocketman suggestion to turn Nahimic "off" completely fixed that problem. When the game became available on Steam, I downloaded the Core Engine from there and discovered that the Steam version has no conflict with Nahimic anymore. To me, the Steam version of this game is the better way to play.
@HOA_KSOP , I'm not familiar with any of the CO2 Bulge games and cannot answer your question. I'm still just beginning to try learning the basic game.

@HOA_KSOP - the Bastogne module is for southern shoulder battles, Ride of the Valkyries the northers shoulder and Knock on all Doors is hypothetical (only I think) plans German generals proposed. It is also much larger in scale. I have the two first mentioned but haven't played many battles yet but they seem reasonably similar.

Thanks for the information. What do you know about the Market Garden package? Also will they ever do Eastern Front battles?

I have that one too and it is a good mix of small to large scale scenarios. IIRC there is one for the entire Market+Garden operations. What I find lacking in it (not it's fault) is that the Dutch landscape is so flat that elevation changes isn't a factor which I find intriguing.
I think Eastern Front is in the plans for the future, depending on how well the Steam sales go (spread the word!). There might be user made scenarios but I haven't tried to find any.

I have that one too and it is a good mix of small to large scale scenarios. IIRC there is one for the entire Market+Garden operations. What I find lacking in it (not it's fault) is that the Dutch landscape is so flat that elevation changes isn't a factor which I find intriguing.
I think Eastern Front is in the plans for the future, depending on how well the Steam sales go (spread the word!). There might be user made scenarios but I haven't tried to find any.
Rocketman, in the Market Garden game can you define your own drop zones or are you limited to the historical positions?

AFAIK you have to stick with the historical positions. I guess you could open up the scenario in the editor and change drop zone arrival, but what that would do to the balance of the scnenario is anyone's guess.

AFAIK you have to stick with the historical positions. I guess you could open up the scenario in the editor and change drop zone arrival, but what that would do to the balance of the scnenario is anyone's guess.
Does the game come with a scenario editor?

Yes, maybe not the most intuitive of tools, but there is a map maker, force compilation editor and scenario maker, all with seperate EXE in the game folder. I have only so far tried the map maker. There are manuals for each tool and IIRC one for scenario making as a whole.

Downloaded the base game (it's free) might give it a go over the next few days, I love the look of the maps.

dCZ50.jpg

Has anyone played this lately? I tried it some time ago but found the AI a little qerky. Comments?

Has anyone played this lately? I tried it some time ago but found the AI a little qerky. Comments?
In what way was it quirky? Was it the oppo AI or the AI of the units you gave commands? I haven't played it for a while (waiting for Steam-keys) but AFAIK no update of the engine recently and I haven't seen much weird stuff. In fact, I hold the AI in the highest regard.

In what way was it quirky? Was it the oppo AI or the AI of the units you gave commands? I haven't played it for a while (waiting for Steam-keys) but AFAIK no update of the engine recently and I haven't seen much weird stuff. In fact, I hold the AI in the highest regard.
That's great to hear. I can't remember the exact issues ... glad to hear. I updated over the weekend and tested out a couple days. Seems okay.

Would love to hear other peoples reviews of this.

Once I get my Steam keys I'll clock some time in game and then post a review (which will be favourable). Reviews from people with game time are usually more appreciated.

I've been dabbling with free base game COps2 for the last week. I updated the game before playing. The AI seems to do some weird things but it could be just different from what I would do. One thing is the same as when I tried the game previously ... I'm losing.

FYI for those fans of Combat Mission piqued by this, Panther Games is promoting "Command Ops 2: Patton's Charge Vol. 8" being available on Steam before the end of this year. Here is the advertising information on Steam - All Games > Simulation Games > Command Ops 2 > Downloadable Content > Command Ops 2: Patton's Charge Vol. 8

Patton’s Charge covers a series of operation conducted along the Western front in late 1944 to early 1945. After the breakout from Normandy in mid-1944 General Patton launched a blistering drive across France with the aim of penetrating the German Westwall line south of the Ardennes. Patton’s Charge will cover the more significant battles of this famous campaign, including Operation Nordwind, Nancy, Metz, the Saar and the Lorraine. It will also cover the Huertgen Forest battles just north of the Ardennes.

Many of these battles involved low unit density over large map areas. This will be markedly different from the more highly congested Battles from the Bulge and Market Garden. They will also provide a good mix of different force types and qualities. Some of the battles will see elite forces from both sided pitted against each other in set piece standoffs. While others will see more freewheeling battles as mobile forces must penetrate and outmaneuver their opponents. Patton was the master of the mobile offensive. Will you be able to live up to his reputation?

The Command Ops 2 game engine with two (2) scenario's is free on Steam. In effect, like Combat Mission, this is free to download and play introductory situations to determine whether the game suits your interests without paying anything to find out. See post #17 above.

Back