Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The FGM Motorcycle Thread

So I'm feeling the seven year itch to buy another bike. I've narrowed it down to these three:

Indian FTR 1200 (base model):

Indian Scout Bobber:

Harley Davidson Iron 1200:

The Iron 1200 is definitely the most old school design, with the air cooled engine. I previously owned an Iron 883, which I later upgraded to 1250cc, so I am quite familiar with the Sportster package, and this is the one I'm leaning towards. I like it that the mini ape hangers are standard now. Sportsters have such a following, and so many after market upgrades....they are easy to customize. But damn, Indian is putting out some nice bikes!

So I'm feeling the seven year itch to buy another bike. I've narrowed it down to these three:

Indian FTR 1200 (base model):

Indian Scout Bobber:

Harley Davidson Iron 1200:

The Iron 1200 is definitely the most old school design, with the air cooled engine. I previously owned an Iron 883, which I later upgraded to 1250cc, so I am quite familiar with the Sportster package, and this is the one I'm leaning towards. I like it that the mini ape hangers are standard now. Sportsters have such a following, and so many after market upgrades....they are easy to customize. But damn, Indian is putting out some nice bikes!
The FTL looks like a worthwhile trip to the hospital.
For a factory "bobber" I think they nailed it and would look nice in the stable.
Harley's have rarely got me excited and when they do the price tag drives me away.

I would suggest picking up a project bike. I grabbed a 2002 Honda VT1100 Sabre with 12k for $250. It was a no start, just needed carbs cleaned and some fluids. Have been riding the snot out of it and will continue until it's too damn cold. Once the cold hits I'll be chopping and changing some stuff for a winter project.

Buy a Dresser. Your back will love you for it. I had a 1200 sportster.
Loved the bike but couldn't ride it very long.
Back would hurt and hands would go numb.
If you are over 30 comfort is the key as far as I'm concerned.
But cell phones and distracted drivers have likely ended my itch to get another.

Buy a Dresser. Your back will love you for it. I had a 1200 sportster.
Loved the bike but couldn't ride it very long.
Back would hurt and hands would go numb.
If you are over 30 comfort is the key as far as I'm concerned.
But cell phones and distracted drivers have likely ended my itch to get another.

Words of wisdom, right here.

This is where I get my custom parts for my Sporty.
I don't ride that much so I don't have too much of an issue with back and hands, but I certainly understand that issue.
As you can see I went for that "Bobber" look

IMG_3797.JPG

@Buckykatt That's a very clean looking Sportster. Looks like you've done a wire tuck? I like that retro headlight. I removed the belt guard off my last one. Saved a couple of pounds and looked "bobber-ish". I love the look of no front fender. Do you ever get a "rooster tail" of water in your face on a wet road?

@Buckykatt That's a very clean looking Sportster. Looks like you've done a wire tuck? I like that retro headlight. I removed the belt guard off my last one. Saved a couple of pounds and looked "bobber-ish". I love the look of no front fender. Do you ever get a "rooster tail" of water in your face on a wet road?
I did do a wire tuck, there was a shitload of plastic junk that came out as well. I relocated the ignition and coil as well to the other side. I did remove a belt guard too. The handle bars came from Builtwell, they have a nice selection and I didn't have to get different cables. Actually the headlight is the original but set on custom hardware. (Its upside down) I removed the "Brow" that sportsters have to clean it up around the light, and a 1/12 tank lift. The pipes are original but with "Thunder torques" and the software thats needed. The Air filter and cover is from DK, it helps the "Look" I haven't driven in the rain.....I suppose It would though. I have to say if I had it to do over again I would have spent a extra couple of thousand and gotten a bigger bike. Not a glide, but maybe a Dyna or something, problem is I just don't ride all that much so I don't feel bad if it sits in the garage.

I'm a brand new 2LT arriving at Fort Riley, KS. An outgoing 1LT sees me coming a mile away and sells me this for $1000. Mind you, I had never ridden a motorcycle in my life...….

1567096319669.png

A 1990 Honda Hurricane 1000. Sporting my silver bar two years later, and after almost killing myself not once, but twice, I immediately looked around for an incoming butter bar! $1200 dollars later, I've been free of motorcycles the rest of my life! I bet that bike is still getting recycled.

I'm a brand new 2LT arriving at Fort Riley, KS. An outgoing 1LT sees me coming a mile away and sells me this for $1000. Mind you, I had never ridden a motorcycle in my life...….

View attachment 17259

A 1990 Honda Hurricane 1000. Sporting my silver bar two years later, and after almost killing myself not once, but twice, I immediately looked around for an incoming butter bar! $1200 dollars later, I've been free of motorcycles the rest of my life! I bet that bike is still getting recycled.

The thing that still ticks me off to this day is that if I had been my age now, I would have bought it, and then sold it for its real value. At the time though, that didn't seem honorable. The stupid things we do when we are young.

View attachment 17259

Haha. I bet you thought you were Maverick from Top Gun. Did you have some aviator sunglasses?

Haha. I bet you thought you were Maverick from Top Gun. Did you have some aviator sunglasses?

Here he is.....

...and here am I ..........

What does that tell ya.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:......frightened myself once on a bike when I pulled a wheelie by accident, just trying to see what the bike would do.....it was a 600cc Yamaha Fazer and i gunnned it from the lights down a slip road onto the M40 early one sunday morning - held on to the bars for dear life as the engine screeeeeeeamed in first gear as i was frozen in time, looking at the sky with bulging eyes.......I eventually released the throttle and came to an undignified stop on the hard shoulder.......that was enough speed for me thanks very much!!!
I don't plod along though, unless on single track roads - out on the twisties I do press on a bit, but never more than I can manage.

Just off now for my cup of cocoa before bed...after all, it is 7.15pm........

Yeeee Haaaaw

XTqy6bC.jpg

Back