2 things about mortars

eniced73

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
1. I have a 3 man mortar crew carrying I belive 6 or 8 rounds each. I loaded them up before disembarking them. Well, one man gets mowed down while my team was lobbing shells onto an enemy. My ammo count decreased instantly by 6 or 8? Is there a way to acquire this lost ammo back? If I let my team perform 'buddy-aid' will they recover the lost ammo if they have room?

2. I have a HQ posted up on top of a small hill overlooking a village. Great LOS to my intended target. My mortar team is positioned/deployed right behind them but out of site of the village. When I call on the HQ to bring down the rain I am seeing a delay of 4 mins!! What!! The mortar team is practically right on top of them and well within whisper distance. Needles to say I just crawled my mortar team up the hill and opened fire the next turn. Can someone explain why the mortar team had such a long delay given they were within earshot of the HQ requesting the drop down?

I posted both these questions on the BF forum too. So ignore this if you answered over there. Any information is appreciated.

Number one... Crap outta luck I believe...

Number two... is the HQ the Mortars direct upline in command... I have seen this shorten delays... otherwise I believe the answer to number one is also fit to be put here.

FYI... I think they (BFC) should allow Mortar teams with LOS/LOF to perform linear, area or on point fire... that would eliminate part of the problem... When playing, unless I think I am going to use my mortar units with LOS/LOF I will either position them with a HQ way back, or put them in as off-map... IMHO this is the only way to use them,,, but then again I win one out of 5 ... lol

Yes. The HQ is the mortar team's. But still a delay of 4 min. when the mortar is set up almost on top of them. I will double check tonight.

I agree that if a HQ can call in any of the three types of fire the mortar team should too.

In real life how does a mortar team actually perform linear or area fire??? In CMBN it seems that the mortars come down way too quickly if a mortar team has to adjust fire every shot to get a linear pattern or an area erratic pattern. Just curious.

I suspect that this is BFCs way of handling the call for fire routine. That is, one must set up the fire mission (azimuth and elevation of tube) then a round is fired to see where the fire lands, the Observer then would give any necessary correction to the mortar team, another round would be fired at the corrected settings and the round would be observed again, this would continue until Observer was satisfied with the spotting rounds location, at that time a fire for effect order would be given. It is only at that point in time that you would see your request for fire effects. This process could take several minutes to accomplish. I am grateful BFC did not make us have to do it manually. So consider the lag to be an abstraction of the process.

As for the linear fire, it is simply a process of using the sighting mechanisms traverse & elevation capability, not difficult at all.

60mm mortar.jpg

This has been discussed at length during beta testing, and it was said to be to hard to fix. They should have at the most a 1 minute delay for the situation described but as beta testers we couldn't get it changed so it's here the stay.

Here is my thing:

I'm firing on this target (red) but the rounds land all the way here (yellow)

CMNormandy2012-01-2920-23-27-10a.jpg

Some one knows how this can be? I'm wasting ammo

I've seen fire off by this much in real life, perhaps you should adjust fire and see if you can bring it in where you want it.

Is the Leader of your spotting team KIA... I dont see him, just a soldier and radio man.... Without the leader units that call Arty have a tendency to 'SUCK' ... at least that is what I have noticed... :)

1. ..... will they recover the lost ammo if they have room?

..... Any information is appreciated.

You can recover mortar rounds from another mortar crew truck, as long as it isn't destroyed.
Did it in a game once again 95Bravo

:")
LH

Damn you!! :) Does the leadership of the HQ shorten the time delay?

This kind of Specially Unprecise Crazed Kratering(S.U.C.K.) used to happen to me, until I found out that Emergency urgency setting in a barrage means it'll drop the whole bunch without firing spotting rounds first!

Could this be the cause? Otherwise, perhaps the team calling it in is (partially) KIA, they are being supressed or they just have bad stats.

Currently performing 'buddy aid' on a fallen member of my mortar crew that I know was carrying around 6 rounds of ammo. I will keep you informed if the team acquires them. I doubt it as it was pointed out on the BF forum that you cannot recover motar ammo.

They finished the buddy aid but failed to pick up the ammo. They were not carrying any ammo themselves and I am 100% positive their fallen comrades had 6 rounds before dying. If they pick up rifle ammo after buddy aid why in the hell will they not pick up 'more important ammo' mortar rounds?? Somebody missed this one!!

.... out that Emergency urgency setting in a barrage means it'll drop the whole bunch without firing spotting rounds first!

Could this be the cause? Otherwise, perhaps the team calling it in is (partially) KIA, they are being supressed or they just have bad stats.

If you were in bad way with your spotter, knowing his days were number...emergency on a target reference as your last order maybe, otherwise I cant can't see any other reasons to used emergency targeting for, its a waste of ammo for sure.

Back
Top Bottom