A Few Good Men Finale

Though what Jack says can warm the cockles of my heart, the point really is that there are rules.The things he holds dear, he violates by allowing or ordering the things done to dehumanize another human being. Force is fine as long as we don't compromise what makes our countries great to begin with, liberty, freedom,truth and justice for all. If only our govn'ts could get back to that now days.

I think that is what is so brilliant about the scene. Nicholson's performance has you rooting for him regardless of what he's done. The movie illustrates extremes. The marines on one hand, operating in a hostile environment, required to do things that seem obscene to others in order to survive in that environment. On the other hand the lawyers, whose only idea of the military is the occasional salute they have to render. The conflict exposes all of the grey area between them.

The film was well acted and directed but the story line was too weak for me, i mean a guy was given some rough treatment by his fellow marines and he died by accident pure and simple, who really cares whether Jack or any other officer ordered the code red?
Maybe the film was just a subtle attempt by Hollywood anti-American elements to make the marines look bad?
After all, we know Cruise is a jesus-rejecting scientology nut for a start.

The story line is rather weak and if not for the performance of Nicholson, the film wouldn't even be noteworthy. I agree that it was more than likely a backhanded swipe at the military by Hollywood. I've always thought that Cruise was overrated as an actor and religious beliefs aside, he definitely seems as if his train has jumped the track.

Kevin Costner is another Hollywood lefty 'luvvie', his Dances With Wolves' was a slur on US history from start to finish. And in one scene the wind blew a small stars and stripes flag across his face and he spat it out, disgraceful! Needless to say his fellow luvvies gave him an Oscar.
One of Britains very own 'luvvies' is Richard Attenborough, he's spent his whole career in films taking swipes at Brit history as either an actor or director, eg 'Guns at Batasi' where he played a sergeant major in a ludicrous comic book fashion; 'Gandhi' where he went to town showing up the Brits as cruel and oppressive; '10 Rillington Place' where he had a go at the police for hanging the wrong man, and 'A Bridge Too Far' where he dwelt on the mistakes made by the military.
Of course, his lefty mates have voted him a truckload of awards and Oscars..

(PS just to clarify what 'luvvie' means, it's a derogatory term used to poke fun at men in showbiz who are atheistic left-wing gays or bisexuals.)

Back
Top Bottom