about the CMFI Patch 1.01

S

S.A.M

Ptach 1.01 is out and with it comes a Trojan

It is the TR/Crypt.XPACK. Gen Trojan

Whilst Battlefront says that it is harmless and that we can see same in further updates, myself I am a shocked.
They say it is clean but how clean is clean?

I am a keen player of both CMBN and CMFI and I feel you all should know that with this update does potentionally come a risk .

I am sure Battlefront is not having anything sinister in mind but it is neverthe less questionable why they have to introduce this threat in their latest update .

I am very coucious of online security and I personally feel quite upset by this.

How are your feelings? Am I overreacting or should we be indeed a bit weary?

Sorry dont wanna couse a storm in a teacup but it is what it is.

Salute

Don´t worry! The manual 2.0 explains what is going on (p. 107):

anti-virus/security software
Our games are encrypted in order to protect them from hackers. This encryption can, depending on
your anti-virus/security software settings, trigger so called “false positives”. This happens e.g. when
you allow your software to flag unknown code (so called “heuristic scanning”) - being encrypted, our
software is more likely to be considered “unknown” than unencrypted software.
All of our games include so-called Digital Certificates with Battlefront.com, Inc. as the publisher. If you
see this, then you do not need to worry that the software may be infected, and can safely adjust your
anti-virus/security software settings and/or whitelist the falsely identified file(s). If you don’t know how
to do this, then you can contact your anti-virus software vendor, and we also list a few handy tips in
our Knowledgebase at http://www.battlefront.com/helpdesk.

This is not as uncommon as you may think... Mehlsack's quote from BFC explains it... I have seen this happen with Adobe Creative Suite when it first came out (@ 2000 per license)... The only difference is within a couple days both Symantic and McAfee had written fixes (I presume by request of Adobe) to ignore the pieces of encrypted code causing the problem... I dont think BFC would have the pull to get that done... so in actuality, the code is being flagged as a virus, because it is written to protect the software from hackers... This means that BFC is doing some highend coding to protect their product and therefore I feel comfortable with their explanation and fix of it....

you guys are probably right, contacted antivir today see what they have to say. I reported back to Antivir, maybe they can do some analysis and square it up.

It is a perennial problem. "Antivir" will probably make some adjustment to their filters, which will be wiped when they release more than a "point upgrade", and wouldn't include the next CM product anyway. It's a false positive; they happen all the time.

My antivirus software pissed it's pants, too. I just made a rule the CMFI exe.

Back
Top Bottom