Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

An Issue of Bridges

Accidental Italian

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Hey peeps, currently playing the Heuman Lock Bridge Scenario in CMBN:Market Garden and discovered my guys are refusing to cross the bridge. Abit of a sticky one when I gotta get across that bridge to take the rest of these jerries out. Has anyone seen this and got any solutions??

Yeah, I complained about this a few years back. I do not think its an easy fix. Something to do with unpacking and repacking the campaign.

I was so pissed off, I traveled there from the other side of the world to get across. :D

DKaXqtY.jpg

Was absolutely fuming about this at the time, if there was a small ford downstream or something that took longer to get across but still allowed you to win thatd be great, but this is a pain in the arse that breaks the scenario

Play Bridge No 7. It is the same bridge. Or use the map to replay it. Like 'The Road to Nijmegen, the last mission on the road to Nijmegen was disappointing. The scenario was much better.

Battlefront is like a textbook example of why monopolies are bad. In any other game, people wouldn't accept stuff like not being able to complete a campaign or scenario because there's a bug that prevents you from driving across a bridge. That would get fixed.

Combat Mission is obviously a good game, but it's also the only game of that type in town. It's a bit like if there's only one factory that makes shoes. "They are obviously good shoes" (because the alternative is to walk barefoot), but the moment another shoe factory opened, people would begin to re-evaluate the quality.

Battlefront is like a textbook example of why monopolies are bad. In any other game, people wouldn't accept stuff like not being able to complete a campaign or scenario because there's a bug that prevents you from driving across a bridge. That would get fixed.

Combat Mission is obviously a good game, but it's also the only game of that type in town. It's a bit like if there's only one factory that makes shoes. "They are obviously good shoes" (because the alternative is to walk barefoot), but the moment another shoe factory opened, people would begin to re-evaluate the quality.

Personally I think A is a consequence of B. AFAIK most of the work on campaigns and scenario's is done for 'gratis', as in not paid for. And yes some 'competition' will be good for us, as we will have more to choose from. But I don't think it will magically allow BFC to finance all/most/more of the work people now do because they like to do it.

The game stagnates because their lead programmer left. They didn't hire a new one because they know they have no real competitors.

I'm not privy to any details to confirm or deny your speculations, although IIRC it was their 'second' programmer that left. Anyway progress is indeed slow or limited at times, no disagreement there and I surely would like more quicker. Competition might force a decision but changing a complex 'value chain' like developing CMx2 games (with heaps of helps from volunteers) into something more predictable with higher output isn't just the question of throwing a $50-100k expense of a programmer salary. And probably people will just buy all games and not only one, considering the niche.
Anyway probably just half full / half empty perspectives.

Usually when people speak about monopolies there is an actual issue with market control leading to 'excess' profiteering. Which is why it's usually considered bad. I'd like to think that's not the case here, for A we are talking about niche video games producers who don't seem to be stacking up the millions and B BFC doesn't control 'the market'. There are plenty of 'similar' games around, you/we/whomever might not (like to) play them but there's technically nothing stopping us to buy and play those in any way shape or form.

Members contribute and donate their creations to Battle Front Community. Then we play them and discover a bug. Till I joined this community I didn't realize Battle Front operated this way. I am not surprised that some customers complain. For me, Hotseat is the only way to play Multiplayer. PBEM you need a DropBox account and agree on some house rules and small scenarios take up to a month to complete. Or disable the security features on your PC and trust a complete stranger. Battlefront needs something like Dropbox for their customers and the means to record your games and post them. An online version would be great too. Happy gaming everyone I just put in my 2 Bob's worth of issues.

Close. They were mounted on 2-wheeled steeds, but there was only one of them..

Bicycle1L.jpg

We could easily have covered the Club Route/Hell's Highway in one morning on our tourers, I dont know what XXX Corps was doing.

Was absolutely fuming about this at the time, if there was a small ford downstream or something that took longer to get across but still allowed you to win thatd be great, but this is a pain in the arse that breaks the scenario

Yeah I was going to unzip the campaign and modify the bridge to make it a ford. @CanadianCat was kind enough to point out that it wouldnt work because all of the AI built into the campaign would be lost in the process.

One way of getting across. Pole vaulting or polsstok springen is a Dutch sport. Shouldn't be a challenge for the US airborne.
polsbroekerdam_44.jpg

Usually when people speak about monopolies there is an actual issue with market control leading to 'excess' profiteering. Which is why it's usually considered bad. I'd like to think that's not the case here, for A we are talking about niche video games producers who don't seem to be stacking up the millions and B BFC doesn't control 'the market'. There are plenty of 'similar' games around, you/we/whomever might not (like to) play them but there's technically nothing stopping us to buy and play those in any way shape or form.
You are of course right that it's not a monopoly by the official definition. BFC is more like some small restaurant that trusts nobody will ever be able to work out the recipe for their secret sauce. Until then, it doesn't matter if the menu never changes, food doesn't arrive on time, the waiter is grumpy, etc. The moment somebody does figure out the recipe, suddenly the tables are empty.

I used to play a lot of the Close Combat games. When I found Combat Mission, I now can't really imagine going back and playing a top-down 2D game like that again. This could also happen with Combat Mission. All it would take would be some other small company to do a tactical scale WW2 game and bring the engine and tech up to modern standards.

You are of course right that it's not a monopoly by the official definition. BFC is more like some small restaurant that trusts nobody will ever be able to work out the recipe for their secret sauce. Until then, it doesn't matter if the menu never changes, food doesn't arrive on time, the waiter is grumpy, etc. The moment somebody does figure out the recipe, suddenly the tables are empty.

I used to play a lot of the Close Combat games. When I found Combat Mission, I now can't really imagine going back and playing a top-down 2D game like that again. This could also happen with Combat Mission. All it would take would be some other small company to do a tactical scale WW2 game and bring the engine and tech up to modern standards.

Sure would be welcome to have another similar game with a more modern engine and visuals!

And let's hope BFC manages to create CMx3 within a couple of years and a more stable pace of output of updates / content. There has been plenty of news on their front lately, with Slitherine, Steam, CMCW etc, so I'm more positive about it happening compared to two years ago.

Back