Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[Anime Series] Girls Und Panzer

D

din djinn

Being new to the forums, I looked for any mention of this title, but from the other posts I've read, I didn't imagine there would be a lot of interest. Still, I'm wondering if people at least know about this anime about high school girls competing in "Tankery." All-girl high schools have tank teams and battle amongst each other for prestige. But these girls really know their tanks. Again, my impression is it won't hold the interest of many (most?) of you, but it is clear that the creators of the series love WW2 tanks as much as anyone.

Never heard of this before. The makers must have thought: "Tanks and girls, what's not to like?" :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: mTk
I haven't watched it, and to each his own. But I don't like it when WW2 becomes some kind of cheesy backdrop. Also, I don't like this fetishation of underage girls.

Last edited:
Hi. I am not recommending this show. I do not believe that most here would enjoy watching it (and hence I fairly assumed many here would not have even heard of it). I really wanted my point to be that the creators really love tanks. I built plastic model tanks as a boy. I used to read books about tanks and now watch videos. Mostly I retain a boyish fascination, and have less interest in the nitty gritty of tanks. But watching Girls Und Panzer, which I too find silly, yet curious, I learned about the word stritch and how stritch markings helped tankers measure distance. I got to see the positioning of the crew inside different models of tanks and how they operated... I mean these girls know the difference between a Sherman M4, M4A1, and Firefly, and between a Panzer IV Ausf. A and Ausf. F2...

To each their own, as you say, but I will always be struck between the details the creators wanted to put into a show. I'm not saying all elements are realistic, but there is a kind of respect for the machines themselves that would seem otherwise unnecessary. So, judge the show (or me) as you will, but I also play videogames that also use WW2 as a cheesy backdrop like World of Tanks. I don't know, I'm just intrigued by tanks.

So, judge the show (or me) as you will, but I also play videogames that also use WW2 as a cheesy backdrop like World of Tanks. I don't know, I'm just intrigued by tanks.
Don't worry. Nobody's judging anyone. I think it's just the anime part that is not (broadly) shared by a few posters here. For the tank part you'll find plenty of like minded here! :LOL:

@din djinn Really? Visit the "World of Tanks Roll Call" topic and post occasionally.
FYI my WoT callsign is: Blue_Rook. You can add me to your contact list if you like.
Okay, you caught me. I should have said I played WoT... on my PS4, which I no longer have. Invested quite a bit into it as well, even though truly, it was as @Bulletpoint described: a cheesy WW2 backdrop game. I have read the more recent posts in the forum here and will continue to. I usually watch the new Quickybaby videos on YouTube, so I'm keeping up with it, but I just don't think my PC will run it reliably.

As for anime, there are some really good ones not written for girls that I could actually recommend and believe even several on these forums would enjoy them. Animes are streaming everywhere these days. I have a 12 year old that watches them, so I get that they can be for kids, but there are plenty that are more mature, and I don't think she is ready for. Girls und Panzer itself has its fair share of critics, including the Chinese state media which see it as promoting militarism. I just see it as a curiosity.

Anime (and a lot of modern animation in general) is an awesome genre.
It is often quite unusual and original stories, characters and imagery.
But just like any other genre it has its share of utter garbage too.

True, but like @Bulletpoint said, "to each his own." I mean I think Naruto and Pokemon are utter garbage, but they are two of the most popular animes. Maybe it is an age thing, or that animes typically have specific genres like Shojo (for little girls) and Shonen (for little boys) and I am unlikely to like either of those genres.

Anime (and a lot of modern animation in general) is an awesome genre.
It is often quite unusual and original stories, characters and imagery.
That pretty much sums it up - some of my all time favourite animated movies of all time are from Studio Ghibli.

That pretty much sums it up - some of my all time favourite animated movies of all time are from Studio Ghibli.
If I came up of a list of my top dozen favorite movies, I don't think I would have an anime title among them, though I love Studio Ghibli too. But if I came up with a list of my top dozen TV series, I believe there would be one or two titles in there that are anime.

Yeah Studio Ghibli was an amazing anime studio.
Here's the results of a quick search on Youtube for some of my favourites, but really worth watching the movies in full.
Gold standard in anime imagery, story and atmosphere.

Spirited Away

Howl's Moving Castle

My Neighbor Totoro

One last mention before I go out.
Speaking of anime and tanks, I saw some of the Valkyria Chronicles while I was poking around on Youtube.
I've never seen the series but it looks interesting. There's a series of games based on the show on Steam too.

As the one who started this post, I learned something new, and want to share it as a warning. I was speaking about the anime series (GuP). I discovered last night there is also a Girls und Panzer movie on Netflix. Watched it. I want to clarify that the opinion I already expressed applies to the series, but not the movie. The movie was cute/innocent, but other than seeing some tanks being operated from the inside, there is nothing good about the movie, unless you want to watch Fast & Furious girls in tanks.

Back