Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

ArmA 3 Vietnam session Sunday 17th May

Gnarly

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I'll be Zeusing a mission on DoubleD 's machine (with some luck) this coming Sunday; again we will be in Vietnam using the 'Unsung' mod. Redundancy will be DoubelD as Zeus if it all goes to crap....

Server name: DD FGM
Password: DoubleD

Search for the server via the ArmA 3 launcher (see the Server tab at the bottom of the left hand menu) as it seems this is the most successful method to connect

The mission is for 10 players max (not including me), so it's first come first served unless you've put your name forward
Required mods are;

Unsung - https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=943001311
CBA_A3 - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=450814997
Shack Tac User Interface - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=498740884

Please ensure you have no other mods running.

We will use Discord for comms so please ensure you're setup and able to activate.

Standard house rules

1. No team killing
2. No shooting in the base/briefing area
3. No swearing, within reason....
5. No looting. Resupply will be provided in the field as required

I will start the briefing at 13:05 BST / 2205 AEST. Please make sure you are on the server well before then so any connection issues and voice comms can be sorted out prior to starting - especially if you are new to ArmA.

Please be aware that if you do arrive late you will need to sort out any problems you are having by yourself so as not to impact on everyone else's session.

Add DoubleD on Steam if you haven't done so already (his Avatar is a snail). Same name as the forum - DoubleD

Heads up to @Nathangun @Concord @Ithikial @Bootie @Vartuoosi @Paleolithic Monk @Bullman @Josey Wales and others. Please direct anyone else here that you think might be interested

41ck3a.jpg

Attendees

@DoubleD
@Vartuoosi

Last edited:
Great fun guys. Thanks to @Gnarly for the scenario design and @DoubleD for hosting. Worked well.
The gunboats for transport were a nice touch.

Some areas had jungle so dense that I was working mainly on sound cues.
No one in sight, enemy or friendly. Pinned down by fire while behind a tree. Hear an M16 to my left - okay friendly on that flank. Hear a shotgun to my right - @Vartuoosi is somewhere close over there.
There were a few times I almost friendly fired. And a few times I realised I was far enough forward to cop some myself.
I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of Arma3 combat - exciting.

I've been enjoying the clashes with enemy squads of about 6-10 opponents, even with our relatively small numbers (we're like a fire team or a half squad). Thrilling.

Thanks all, thoroughly enjoyed being Zeus for the first time ever, and I am grateful everything went off without a hitch. I particularly enjoyed role-playing the village chieftan (@Concord his daughter is still awaiting your return..... ;D ).

I did play with the number of AI throughout the mission to keep the gameplay balanced for you folks (I built the mission around an 8-player squad size, so it was easy to delete 1-3 soldiers from various 6- and 8- man enemy squads on the fly to keep it fun).

Apart from the chief, I remote controlled the medic who (accidentally) shot DoubleD (?) in the first temple village, and then I managed to frag myself.... I did also remote a few soldiers in the west of the 2nd village, just to provide lots of suppressive fire. I think I may have winged @Vartuoosi there as well, outside the hut (mission objective) that exploded, leaving all the props levitating (including the Intel, which was on the bed, but now inaccessible to you!

Curious: did you folks see any of the moving civilian boats? I had a number, but didn't realize just how slow they are. I think they all passed you after you'd swam the rivers.....

@DoubleD - which soldier did you grab? Team Leader? I had the team laeder synced to the AddEditableObjects module, so I could actually follow you (DD) easily the whole mission, but once you went to deal with the Hedgehog problem, it was very tough to follow the rest of the team in the jungle, until they made contact around the civi boats in the inlet.

PS how long did it take for non-medics to revive in the end? About 30 seconds?

@DoubleD , I'll Zeus another one in a fortnight.

@Gnarly yeah it took about 30 seconds for me to revive...although it felt longer while under fire!
I did see glimpses of civilian boats on the move a couple of times.

Just wondering - was it your original intention for the fire team to take the boat up the canals and rivers to each location?

@DoubleD I'd love to know about your hedgehog 'problem'.
Do you have an "array" of vicious, marauding hedgehogs tearing up the neighbourhood? :D

hedgehog.jpg

@Gnarly yeah it took about 30 seconds for me to revive...although it felt longer while under fire!
I did see glimpses of civilian boats on the move a couple of times.
Excellent, thanks

Just wondering - was it your original intention for the fire team to take the boat up the canals and rivers to each location?

Yeah, but I didn't have a good grasp of scale on these maps at that time. I now know to put such Intel objectives further apart, but I'd already setup the AA site, and it would have been silly for you to 'boat' past it, find Intel, and then have to back-track to it.

Also, there was potential of you 'boating' past the AA-site to get final intel obj., and inadvertently triggering the AA-defending AI, making the final Intel obj. irrelevant. Lessons learnt!

I did want you to only use the boats as transport (as you did). DD or @Josey Wales created a river boat patrol a few weeks back, but we (re-?)discovered that you can't revive a player while they are onboard, and pushing them out of their position (in order to revive) often pushes them into the water, where they are inaccessible and drown. Basically, boats aren't revive-friendly, so not great for front-line action with small player base.

@DoubleD I'd love to know about your hedgehog 'problem'.
Do you have an "array" of vicious, marauding hedgehogs tearing up the neighbourhood? :D

View attachment 18955
Or could he have been referring to this @Hedgehog ?? ;D

Excellent, thanks

Yeah, but I didn't have a good grasp of scale on these maps at that time. I now know to put such Intel objectives further apart, but I'd already setup the AA site, and it would have been silly for you to 'boat' past it, find Intel, and then have to back-track to it.

Also, there was potential of you 'boating' past the AA-site to get final intel obj., and inadvertently triggering the AA-defending AI, making the final Intel obj. irrelevant. Lessons learnt!

I did want you to only use the boats as transport (as you did). DD or @Josey Wales created a river boat patrol a few weeks back, but we (re-?)discovered that you can't revive a player while they are onboard, and pushing them out of their position (in order to revive) often pushes them into the water, where they are inaccessible and drown. Basically, boats aren't revive-friendly, so not great for front-line action with small player base.

Or could he have been referring to this @Hedgehog ?? ;D
Keep your eyes peeled Hedgehogs Will return !!!!!!

@Concord, I did see some boats but it was usually out of the corner of my eye as I was under fire, LOL

Apologies about having to step out. I had the medic role but I think I was the senior in the team, not ideal to lose that role for part of the mission. The hedgehog is actually a hedgehog. We had a family in the garden last year and this fellow turned up on Saturday but was not well, retching and stumbling around in the day time. We thought we'd lost them to a Badger during the winter. We took him to the vet who sedated him, cleared out his mouth, antibiotics, pain relief etc. My wife picked him up on Sunday whilst we had the ArmA session but he got feisty in the car on the drive home, trying to get out of the box and she had to keep pushing his nose back into the box and drive with a hand on top. So my wife called and asked for help when she got home.

IMG-20200517-WA0017.jpg

We released him, keeping an eye on him during the afternoon. I doubt they were a threat but my wife was worried about the ravens and magpie because he was looking a little discombobulated.

IMG-20200517-WA0016.jpg

Eventually he happily ate and drank some water then wandered off, after :poop: on the lawn as a thank you :cautious::ROFLMAO:

outside the hut (mission objective) that exploded, leaving all the props levitating (including the Intel, which was on the bed, but now inaccessible to you!
Meant to ask but forgot, any idea what happened with that hut?
I'd just gotten to the top of the stairs on the outside and the whole thing just blows up under me, the fall wounding me and killing the VC dude inside.

Meant to ask but forgot, any idea what happened with that hut?
I'd just gotten to the top of the stairs on the outside and the whole thing just blows up under me, the fall wounding me and killing the VC dude inside.

There was a hookah pipe inside, perhaps it was an IED????

Seriously, no idea at all. I was putting rounds down range, but?? Lets just call it ARMA??? :alien:

You had some weapons cache in the building. There are a couple of the crates, mortars I think, which for some reason explode near other items.... an Unsung feature, I think it was probably those.

I would join in but cant get discord to work so I guess Im out again.
You are using the actual application and not running Discord through the browser, right? Vast majority of problems I've seen people have were because they were using the browser version.

Back