Beginner Question

I prefer 1/35 scale for the ease of the smaller parts, and the level of detail you can acheive, at least in armor. Aircraft would go with 1/48 or even 1/32 (but usually very $$)

There are some great aircraft kits in 1/72 that aren't too expensive. I agree with Airborne Bob, if I am doing AFV's, lightskinned vehicles, and/or figures I prefer 1/35 scale.

For aircraft, if you are a beginner......or returning to the hobby for the first time as an adult like me......I would argue 1/72 is your testing ground. You can pratice putting seams together well, using liquid cement, painting, all on relatively cheap models that - as long as you stick to basic brands (because the top line brands can produce something so intricate that a beginnner would just give up) - aren't too hard to put together.

For a beginner, I would recommend buying some Hobbycraft kits (very simple to put together)....or Academy. Something like that. Also Airfix ones...but some of their older kits are a bit of a nightmare, so it can be a bit hit and miss. The Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk 1 is probably the best beginner spitfire on the market....that would be a superb starter, along with their Hurricane. Avoid their Tiger Moth and Blenheim kits...and their Flying Fortress is apparently rubbish too (I have one in my stash so will find out one day). The Whirlwind I did came together sweetly.

Make some nice simple single engine fighters and get your mistakes in early. Then decide what you want to do. 1/48 strikes a nice balance between shelf space and detail, or you can build more 1/72. Your display room may dictate your choice.

For military vehicles, you can go 1/35 straight away should you wish...buy something Tamiya for ease of fit without overbearing price. Stay away from makes like Dragon and things with photo-etched parts for a while until you get your feet. 1/72 or 1/76 in military is also fun....try Revell AG (the German side of Revell), which are generally kits reboxed from an old maker called Matchbox.....they are cheap and easy fitting, and come with their own little diorama bases. Esci produced really good AFV kits if you can find them second hand. Italeri have most of them now. Having said all that, for military vehicles 1/35 has a presence that 1/72 hasn't, and it isn't too big.

Back
Top Bottom