Booties Nightmare Break

Bootie

FGM OWNER
Staff member
Reaction score
So guys... as you know, I'm of on a trip to the highlands today... having an absolute nightmare so far.

Set off today at noon... expecting a 4-hour drive north.

Set off and drove straight into a thunder and lightning storm that flooded the bloody roads. Then got caught in road works on 3 separate occasions. Then got caught in traffic as a car had smashed through a bridge and police had closed the road and there were massive tailbacks with no off roads. I had managed 40 mile in 2.5 hours... finally get some clear road and whilst driving north my car that had just been through a full service and MOT and got new discs and pads fitted last week basically stopped working. Warning came on - steering failure park immediately.

Luckily, it happened right beside a big supermarket car park, so I was able to pull in with no steering assistance... it was like driving through porridge turning the steering wheel was a real struggle... so there we were at 1500hrs. Had to call roadside assistance through my assurance as my steering was gone. Mechanic arrived 3 hours later with his diagnostic machine and cleared the error but said it will work fine for a couple of weeks, but the steering column will need replaced which will cost me 2k for the part and that's even before the labour costs.

Feck me... I can't afford that, even if I was to roll out my Patreon money... LOL.

So on the rest of the drive north, the missus and I discussed our options and have decided we will trade it in later this week for a newer car. Still gonna cost a couple of grand but we need a car so nothing we can do about it.

Anyway, we finally arrive at our destination by 2000hrs to find that because we were booked in on Friday and hadn't showed up until today (due to my wife and daughter being in Turkey) they had actually booked someone else into our static home by the beach. And to top it all off, they were full.

We had paid nearly £850 for this accommodation, so to say we were pissed was an understatement. After standing at the reception for 45 minutes, they finally found a replacement accommodation. And this may be the only thing that has gone right today... we were upgraded to this rather splendid static caravan right by the sea... a huge beast of a caravan that is stunning.... so I'm currently venting here as the sea crashes onto the beach 30 feet away. Despite being full, they must have had no option but to give us the penthouse of caravans that is reserved for more wealthy clientele.

So a crap day all round, and I'm afraid the much-needed break is spoiled already as I fret about having to face the dilemma and cash implications of getting a replacement car as soon as I get back to the city.

Why is nothing ever simple for me... if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all! Photos to follow, but the internet is so shit here that it would take hours to upload them.

Over and Out

Bootie

So today went for a walk along the beach then back to the lodge. There is an RAF bombing range close by, so honestly sat for like an hour watching 2 Eurofighter Typhoons doing mock bombing runs into the target from my table on the little balcony. Filmed on phone but crap quality but will share when I get back to civilization. Will be heading home earlier than expected as I've bought a new (2nd hand car but new to me) and will be picking it up on Friday morning. A Ford Kuga 2.0 Titanium Sport. Not quite a midlife crisis purchase but a steady family motor.

Had to guess at the model year, but they don't look like they've changed much over time.
7vJHyYLh.jpg

-----
gOT0nEUh.jpg

Last edited:
Will be heading home earlier than expected as I've bought a new (2nd hand car but new to me) and will be picking it up on Friday morning. A Ford Kuga 2.0 Titanium Sport. Not quite a midlife crisis purchase but a steady family motor.

We call those the Ford Escape here in the U.S.A.

As to your "vacation", it seems like something out of a Lovecraft story. You didn't happen to stay at Innsmouth?

So guys... as you know, I'm of on a trip to the highlands today... having an absolute nightmare so far.

Set off today at noon... expecting a 4-hour drive north.

Set off and drove straight into a thunder and lightning storm that flooded the bloody roads. Then got caught in road works on 3 separate occasions. Then got caught in traffic as a car had smashed through a bridge and police had closed the road and there were massive tailbacks with no off roads. I had managed 40 mile in 2.5 hours... finally get some clear road and whilst driving north my car that had just been through a full service and MOT and got new discs and pads fitted last week basically stopped working. Warning came on - steering failure park immediately.

Luckily, it happened right beside a big supermarket car park, so I was able to pull in with no steering assistance... it was like driving through porridge turning the steering wheel was a real struggle... so there we were at 1500hrs. Had to call roadside assistance through my assurance as my steering was gone. Mechanic arrived 3 hours later with his diagnostic machine and cleared the error but said it will work fine for a couple of weeks, but the steering column will need replaced which will cost me 2k for the part and that's even before the labour costs.

Feck me... I can't afford that, even if I was to roll out my Patreon money... LOL.

So on the rest of the drive north, the missus and I discussed our options and have decided we will trade it in later this week for a newer car. Still gonna cost a couple of grand but we need a car so nothing we can do about it.

Anyway, we finally arrive at our destination by 2000hrs to find that because we were booked in on Friday and hadn't showed up until today (due to my wife and daughter being in Turkey) they had actually booked someone else into our static home by the beach. And to top it all off, they were full.

We had paid nearly £850 for this accommodation, so to say we were pissed was an understatement. After standing at the reception for 45 minutes, they finally found a replacement accommodation. And this may be the only thing that has gone right today... we were upgraded to this rather splendid static caravan right by the sea... a huge beast of a caravan that is stunning.... so I'm currently venting here as the sea crashes onto the beach 30 feet away. Despite being full, they must have had no option but to give us the penthouse of caravans that is reserved for more wealthy clientele.

So a crap day all round, and I'm afraid the much-needed break is spoiled already as I fret about having to face the dilemma and cash implications of getting a replacement car as soon as I get back to the city.

Why is nothing ever simple for me... if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all! Photos to follow, but the internet is so shit here that it would take hours to upload them.

Over and Out

Bootie
You must be my brother, we share the same luck!!!
Just going to check if my rocking horse is still alive.

Enjoy the holiday mate.

Good solid choice on the motor too.

Captain Chaos

Last edited:
Ok so made it back down the road...

Here are some pics and vids of the trip.

Started off with pretty bad weather!!

IMG_5378.jpg

Then had to sit in a queue due to a road traffic accident.

Screenshot 2024-08-15 233330.png

Then got stuck in numerous road works.

Screenshot 2024-08-15 233500.png

Then steering failed and got stuck in a supermarket car park for several hours waiting on the mechanic who turned up and said steering is screwed, but I've reset the error and it will last awhile. A while being a week or two or a year. Will cost 2-3k to fix so if I was you I would sell it before it happens again. So I did.

Screenshot 2024-08-15 233616.png

The weather brightened as we got further north.

Screenshot 2024-08-15 233833.png

Starting to get late in the day but finally our first glimpse of the highland mountains.

Screenshot 2024-08-15 233956.png

After turning up at our destination and being told they had resold our let as we never showed up on Friday (we turned up on Sunday)we finally did get a lodge to stay in... how close is that sea!

Screenshot 2024-08-15 234222.png

A tough day ended with a spectacular show of the aurora borealis.

Screenshot 2024-08-15 234453.png

Screenshot 2024-08-15 234624.png

Tuesday started with a coffee on the veranda.

Screenshot 2024-08-15 234805.png

Sat and watched 2 Eurofighter Typhoons doing strafing runs onto the range - just too far away to get a good shot, but the noise!!

Screenshot 2024-08-16 001806.png

Back
Top Bottom