Bring Back any memories ?

Subject: FW: Bring back any memories?

Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favourite 'fast food' when you were growing up?'

'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him.
'All the food was slow.'
'C'mon, seriously.. Where did you eat?'
'It was a place called 'home,'' I explained. !
'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the lad was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I'd figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore jeans, set foot on a golf course, travelled out of the country or had a credit card.

My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until just before the coronation in 1953 when I was 9.
It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at 10 pm, after playing the national anthem and epilogue
We all had to stand up for the National Anthem
TV didn't come back on the air until mid afternoon.
I never had a telephone in my room.
There was just one in the house in the hallway and there was no dial on it
When you picked up the receiver the operator said "Number please"

You needed a ration book to buy sweets and meat etc
If you didn't have any coupons you went without

Pizzas were not delivered to our home...
In fact I don't think pizzas were available at all
Milk was by a horse and cart with milk churns on the back, in which the dairyman dipped a measure and poured the milk into a jug provided by us.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and nearly all boys delivered newspapers
Film stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the films. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or almost anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.
Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it ?

MEMORIES from a friend:
When my grandmother died I remember seeing an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it... I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?
Headlight dip-switches on the floor of the car.
Ignition switches and starter buttons on the dashboard.
There were two postal deliveries per day and letters were always delivered before breakfast.
Trouser leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
The street lights were turned off at about 11pm each night. (Coming again soon on the motorways !)
Soldering irons you heated on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn indicators.
Corona drink ( Cherryade) was delivered in glass bottles by lorry each week, and the empties returned.
..>
Older Than Dirt Quiz:
Count all the ones that you remember, not the ones you were told about.
Ratings at the bottom.

1. Sweet cigarettes
2. Coffee shops with juke boxes
3. Home milk delivery in glass bottles
4. Party lines on the telephone
5. Newsreels before the movie
6. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning.. (There were only 2 channels [if you were fortunate])
7. Peashooters
8. 33 rpm records
9. 45 RPM records
10. Hi-fi's
11. Metal ice trays with levers
12. Blue flashbulb
13. Cork popguns
14. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-3 = You're still young
If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age
If you remembered 11-14 = You're positively ancient!

I must be 'positively ancient' but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.

Don't forget to pass this along!!
Especially to all your really OLD friends....I just did!!!!!!!!!

(PS. I used a large type face so you could read it easily)
(and they forgot the 78rpm records!)

With a little differences it sounds like it was in the GDR as I was a child. To this time I didn´t know directly how good this was for my growth. But I/we learned appreciate the things. And today I know how good it was there. But enough! That were the good old days. :) And I´m happy I could live a few years in this time.

But... - I´m no older people. :) I´m in my best age. As I wrote in my thread about the NVA - in that time it wasn´t need to lock the doors or houses, the people stood together and as You said, mate - respect was the kind You dealt with people and people with You. At least the folk - only exception was the MfS (the secret police). I´m missing the good old Mom-and-Pop store on the corner and the greengrocery only a street farther. Today You have to go in a supermarket and the personnel is very very impersonal. Formerly You know each other with name and also his or her wishes. If You were on hikes You greeted every people You met. Today You have to make a big circle around them or it could be You have to beat him down. You never saw a dosser or a homeless there. If somebody broke the law the police wasn´t squeamish to arrest You. Today the police talks about no-go-areas where they can´t go in without permission of the criminal boss there. It´s totally madness. Etc. etc. ...

“The past is another country; they do things differently there” - L.P.Hartley

I grew up in the 1950's and 60's on a council housing estate and it was like one big loony bin, my parents were just as bad as all the others.
For example my dad used to hammer on my bedroom door at the crack of dawn after I left school shouting- "Get out of bed and look for a job, they're crying out for people at the glue factory!", but I just thought "Oh stick it!" and turned over and went back to sleep..

The glue factory, Leicester, England-
bostikb.gif

A major difference between the past (til about 1970) and now, is that in the past everybody happily thought in terms of simple 'black-and-white' regarding world affairs, with hardly any grey area between the two.
But kids who were brought up after 1970 til today are being brainwashed by pol-correct lefty teachers and society that things are never as clear-cut as all that, and that there's plenty of grey area for debate and discussion.
As a result, kids today grow up confused by all the waffle and become slightly paranoid, indecisive, lacking self-confidence and unable to think clearly.
In other words, the Establishment has deliberately controlled them into becoming timid robots who lack initiative.
Me, I stick with what John Wayne said-

"If anybody tells me something ain't a clear-cut black and white thing, I say Why the hell not?"

wayne3b.jpg

Seeger was constantly in trouble with the Establishment, drawing bans from TV companies etc for telling people not to be mind-controlled robots..

I took my 14 year old to Barkerville here in the BC interior. On the way home we stopped in Williams Lake and sauntered into a real estate office, just ti kill some time, stretch and eat ice cream. I was chatting with the realtor when I noticed my son toying with and old typewriter. One of those that when you pushed the keys, a series of metal arms moved the main type are and struck the paper through the ink ribbon. There was no paper, so he was looking perplexed. Withe the aid of the realtor we moistened the ink ribbon and cranked in a piece of paper, and stood back. He just stood there looking at us. I finally had to ask what was up, he said "Where's the screen?" after a chuckle I said there was no screen. He proceeded to type away, quite pleased with the out put when he stopped again, and looked up kinda worried. He said that he though he broke the machine. I looked at it and informed him of the manual carrige return, and that got me a look something like a dog trying to unterstand human language. I had to say that it was a "manual enter key" for him to get what was happening. What a laugh, you should have seen the exam that came as I explained how the capital letters worked and how the whole carrige lifted when you pressed the shift key.
Oh where will the world be in a few years. You can check out Barkerville and Williams Lake on the net, its about a 7 hour drive north from my home.

Back
Top Bottom