Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

California - Back to the 1880's!

California has a plan to mitigate damages caused by forest fires. Stop using electricity. Yep. That's the plan. Starting tonight. Apparently the last person left in the State is turning off the lights. LOL
Don't adopt a plan that ensures safe use of power lines. Nooo. Just cut off everyone's electricity. Heavy winds will not damage wires that cause fires. Problem solved.
Just add this to my list of things that make me (mostly) hate California. If my son and his family weren't here I'd have been gone years ago.
I'll likely be without for 2 days and probably double that if I'm reading between the lines (no pun intended) correctly. Game turnaround time may be a bit slow.
If the probability for catastrophe weren't so great this would be bloody hilarious!

Being without light is really cumbersome. I would prefer that the gas in the kitchen be suspended. I still remember the storm that was here in 2012 and we were without power for three days. Living with candles at night, that was a nightmare.

We sort of have a plan as well. If we're out of power tomorrow morning we will get in the wife's Audi (my Jaguar will be stuck in the garage as door is electric) and head south to Monterey.
Booked for a couple of days in a nice suite. If we hadn't just taken a similar road trip just last week this would sound like a lot more fun.

I live in Oakland, and my power is already fluctuating on and off. So no internet connection for my computer until further notice. Therefore, no turns until further notice @Nathangun and @Wellsonian

I feel like we are Venezuela or some other 3rd World Country.

PG&E gouged rate payers and was gifted money to the tune of $8 billion (yes, with a B) to ensure the creation and maintenance of a safe public utility. The money is gone, the fat cats got their million dollar bonuses for “a job well done” and the power system is so messed up that it has to be turned off to avoid burning down California. I think that some people need to go to prison.

I can't believe California left its electric infrastructure to a private company.
Here I am whining about my first world problem of having to take a couple of days vacation to one of the nicer spots in the state.
@Nort We are staying at the Clement International Hotel on The Wharf if you'd like to join us for dinner?
However, the inconvenience is massive and it won't be the last time. Maybe. If the consequences of turning off the power are worse than having a fire then...

It is inconvenient and annoying - especially as it sounds like corporate incompetence is to blame.
Here in Western Australia, our guys are always quick to fix a problem, which I'm grateful for. Any weather, any time of day.
So much of modern life requires electricity to enable everything, from cooking, chores and work to entertainment.
And much of the world's population still has either unreliable electrical supply...or none at all.
Try and enjoy your forced road trip. All the best.

California has a plan to mitigate damages caused by forest fires. Stop using electricity. Yep. That's the plan. Starting tonight. Apparently the last person left in the State is turning off the lights. LOL
Don't adopt a plan that ensures safe use of power lines. Nooo. Just cut off everyone's electricity. Heavy winds will not damage wires that cause fires. Problem solved.
Just add this to my list of things that make me (mostly) hate California. If my son and his family weren't here I'd have been gone years ago.
I'll likely be without for 2 days and probably double that if I'm reading between the lines (no pun intended) correctly. Game turnaround time may be a bit slow.
If the probability for catastrophe weren't so great this would be bloody hilarious!

Well don't even think about coming across the border into southern Oregon. We're full. :2draw:

A couple of observations...

High winds damage power lines whether electricity runs through them or not. You might want to write an op ed and remind your politicians and electric company engineers of that.

I am assuming they sell chain saws in California. Maybe again remind your politicians and electric company engineers that if crews got up there to clear the right of way to build it, they can get their asses up there to clear brush and manage vegetation encroachment of the right of way.

Why the f@@k do you Cali folks do everything the hard way?

And the reason that the lights are staying on in Your urban centers is so there won’t be a break down in social order and to prevent the sea of homeless people raping, pillaging and plundering. And that is exactly why we need FULL 2nd Amendment rights.

Last edited:
All's well in Sacramento at the moment, I think it would have been fine here in the 1800's too. Sutter's Fort would just be a 10 minute horse ride away. Ok off to Mulvaney's for a nice lunch and maybe listen to some fake news. :cool:

Last edited:
Sure he can. He just wants to drive the Audi and to let us all know that he has a Jag. ;)

Which he can’t get out of the garage because the power is off. Time to go Amish mTk....make candles, get you a horse and buggy, rock the cool hat and suspenders.

You all ever hear of Honda generators? Oh yeah, you Cali folk probably have some NIMBY ordinance about those I am sure.

I have lived in many US states (MI, SC, MA, NY, RI, GA) but have lived in CA for the last 15 years.

The state government here is horrid. Literally just problem after problem stemming from "feel good" governance. None of the other 6 states that I have lived in have these kinds of issues.

Somehow in CA we grossly overpay for everything (taxes, utilities, fuel, water, etc.) and the performance of these things is just terrible.

But CA voters are a criminally stupid bunch. Come election time, we will vote for many of the same schemes again. And these schemes will not solve any problems, but rather they will create more problems.

There is an old proverb--"The People Get the Leaders That They Deserve."

That is CA in a nutshell. Dumb people electing even dumber leaders.

Last edited:
Back