Can anyone explain CMAK (CDV) version and how its different?

• Thread starter Mt. Carmel Hill
  • Start date
M

Mt. Carmel Hill

I recently purchased a a back up CD incase my regular CMAK CD ever wears down id becomes lost (Lord forbid!). After I received it in the mail, everything looked identical except it said CDV on it... Can anyone explain this to me? It didn't act as though it was compatible :-(

Think CDV is the European branch/company through which Battlefront sells (or sold) its games. I've got a CDV version too. But I live in Europe....

Is it compatible with the US version of CMAK? I assume/hope so.

It is compatible, but it is censored - you won't find any "SS" in there, rather "WG" (meaning "Waffengrenadiere"), but that's it. You can install the US patches on the CDV version, though, and have everything set to English and "uncensored". If the different versions weren't compatible, I'd be in trouble - acquiring an import version is forbidden by German law. :)

Looks like the Germans are still sensitive about what happened 65 years ago,

Law is law. It has been decided that the SS is a criminal organization and that everything that can be connected with it is forbidden - you may not even carry "SS" on your license plate. Games fall under the same jurisdiction because they're not deemed worthy for political/historical education. That's the only exception there is.

If he "patches" his game, it won't run with everyone else as far as I know...

Carmel, what exactly happened? Do you get a message or something? If so, please take a screenshot and show it to me, I think I might be able to help you...

I appreciate your input gents. Here's what I did. I had my (US) version already loaded on my home PC. I checked my email and a pbem file came in from an opponent. Unfortunately I had left my US version disk at the office (I'm self employed so I can play at work :) ) so I could not retrun his file, however I remember I had just bought my "Backups" (the CDV version) and thought I could just pop it into my PC and run the game that way. It told me that I was using a different veriosn of CMAK and couldn't load the file...

Could I have both the US and CDV version loaded on the same PC? Or would that make a muck of things? If not, I may just sell my new CDV version and try to find another US version. Anyone interested in buy my CDV version? They are brand new. As a matter of fact, I bought (2) back ups of the CDV so that I could have a back up at the office and home. If your interested I've got (2) brand new CDV CMAK games available. I'm starting to sound like a real junkie now! (Dear diary....)

I have "patched" all my games so that I do not need to use the discs. So far I have not had any problem playing with anybody. (Knock on wood.)

Interesting. Could you PM me and explain how you did it? That disc shuffling all the time is pretty annoying... :)

Could I have both the US and CDV version loaded on the same PC? Or would that make a muck of things? If not, I may just sell my new CDV version and try to find another US version. Anyone interested in buy my CDV version? They are brand new. As a matter of fact, I bought (2) back ups of the CDV so that I could have a back up at the office and home. If your interested I've got (2) brand new CDV CMAK games available. I'm starting to sound like a real junkie now! (Dear diary....)

The CDV version doesn't work because certain code elements are different. You could install the German version, though, patch it up with US patches and work with that - then you could use your current back up disc as main disc and the original one as... well, back up. If you want both versions working in parallel, you just need to copy your original game to a new folder, install the CDV version and you're good to go - that wouldn't solve the problem of your originals disc wearing out, though. Best solution is patching up teh CDV version with US patches (which shhouldn't be possible, but worked with my CDV version). Doesn't work for CMBB, though!

I have "patched" all my games so that I do not need to use the discs. So far I have not had any problem playing with anybody. (Knock on wood.)

How did you do that ? tried this once, but it didn't work.

Hey Shoot me that patch too..I switch discs all the time from CMAK to CMBB it is annoying....

I'd like a patch too...thats why my disc wheres out is because of the switching :-(

Back
Top Bottom