Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Canadian Battle Series by Mark Zuehlke

Bones26

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
At ease,

For anyone interested in delving deeper into the various major battles and campaigns fought by the Canadian Army in WWII, may I heartily recommend you consider the Canadian Battle Series of books written by Mark Zuehlke, an award-winning author, generally considered to be Canada’s foremost popular military historian. This series of 13 books to-date (each one thoroughly covering a pivotal point of the Canadian war effort on the ground) is the most exhaustive recounting of the various individual battles and campaigns fought in the many various European theaters by any nation during World War II to have been written by a single author, and each of them brings to life in exquisite detail the critical strategic, tactical and individual actions of those times.

And if your interests are more tuned to the perspective of the individual experience, then may I recommend two books in particular (And No Birds Sang & My Fathers Son) written by renown Canadian author Farley Mowat who recounts his own WWII experiences as a wet behind the ears, green, idealistic second lieutenant and platoon leader barely out of his teens bound for war in the Italian theater. Beautifully written, together they provide a compelling reflection on the tragedy, suffering, bravery, chaos, and occasional comedy of war and the coming of age of a young man and solider.

Lastly, Mowat also penned a third book about the war in his volume titled "The Regiment" which is more specifically about the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment (The Hasty P's) with whom he served, and who were Canada's most decorated regiment of the second world war. Here he tells the story of this regiment from their recruitment in September 1939 until the end of the war, and writes movingly of the trials and tribulations endured by his follow soldiers.

Good reading and cheers!:)

I can also recommend the two books by Terry Copp on the Canadian Army in NWE 44-45, "Fields of Fire" and "Cinderella Army".

At ease,

For anyone interested in delving deeper into the various major battles and campaigns fought by the Canadian Army in WWII, may I heartily recommend you consider the Canadian Battle Series of books written by Mark Zuehlke, an award-winning author, generally considered to be Canada’s foremost popular military historian. This series of 13 books to-date (each one thoroughly covering a pivotal point of the Canadian war effort on the ground) is the most exhaustive recounting of the various individual battles and campaigns fought in the many various European theaters by any nation during World War II to have been written by a single author, and each of them brings to life in exquisite detail the critical strategic, tactical and individual actions of those times.

And if your interests are more tuned to the perspective of the individual experience, then may I recommend two books in particular (And No Birds Sang & My Fathers Son) written by renown Canadian author Farley Mowat who recounts his own WWII experiences as a wet behind the ears, green, idealistic second lieutenant and platoon leader barely out of his teens bound for war in the Italian theater. Beautifully written, together they provide a compelling reflection on the tragedy, suffering, bravery, chaos, and occasional comedy of war and the coming of age of a young man and solider.

Lastly, Mowat also penned a third book about the war in his volume titled "The Regiment" which is more specifically about the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment (The Hasty P's) with whom he served, and who were Canada's most decorated regiment of the second world war. Here he tells the story of this regiment from their recruitment in September 1939 until the end of the war, and writes movingly of the trials and tribulations endured by his follow soldiers.

I totally concur. I only started reading about Canada's contribution to WWII, two years ago and Zuelke was a great place to start. I found them to be an easy and informative read. I was going to say 'enjoyable' but that word didn't seem appropriate for the suffering entailed by war.

At ease,

Agreed to all. Zuehlke interviews many, many veterans for his books, and given how fewer and fewer of them remain with every month that goes by, his books are remarkable for that fact alone.

And apparently you pronounce his name Zool-key...

am reading 'And no Birds Sang' by Mowat now, he has a great writing style that puts you there with him. (thanks for the recommendation).

I can highly recommend the Juno Trilogy for the Canadian actions at D-Day and the spell thereafter. They are utterly gripping and really tell it how it was with the brutal fighting that took place for the beach and then the hamlets and villages in-land.

Back