CMBN videos

eniced73

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
What is your opinion on the best way to show videos in your posts? I know you have to link them to your post but where from and how is my question. I have a youtube account and a photobucket account. Seems like when I record game footage with FRAPS a 60 second clip is over 1GB in storage. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

I wouldo be interested in knowing this too. I have the same accounts as eniced73.

Thanks.

I'm no expert but what I will say is -

Check your FRAPS video capture settings (under the Movies tab in FRAPS), 25-30 fps is more than adequate. The higher the FRAPS fps the bigger the file. Don't worry about the in-game fps you are getting.

My video capture software produces an AVI file which is huge! I use Windows Movie Maker/Vegas Movie Studio to edit, and then render it into a WMV file. The WMV file is a lot smaller than the original AVI file(s) and I upload that to YouTube.

e.g. I created a 30 minute video which came in at 12gb. After rendering into a WMV file the finished film was 175mb.

Windows Movie Maker is a Microsoft freebie. It's basic but it does the job. I'm sure someone else will be able to recommend something better if wanted.

I'm sure there are other better ways/tools out there.

As an example, I used the same source file with a running time of approx 1 minute to create 2 different quality videos. Excuse the material, but I wanted to have a lot of movement in the video.

The source file (video and sound) is a little over 700MB. Was recorded at 1680x1050 29.97fps.

================

The first video is the lower quality.
rendered to 840x528, 29.97fps, at 3.1mbps.
the result was a 25.5MB file.
rendering took 3mins 35secs.

[video=youtube_share;7mKQOhe66lA]http://youtu.be/7mKQOhe66lA[/video]

================

The second video is higher quality
rendered to 1280x720, 25fps, at 3.1mbps.
the result was a 193.2MB file.
rendering took 7mins 41secs.

[video=youtube_share;hxTUlnATGAE]http://youtu.be/hxTUlnATGAE[/video]

You may need to do a little experimenting to find the balance of quality/file size you are happiest with.

Is there some way to "crop" a video? Specifically, in CM, I'd like to focus the video on the action. Is there some way to clip the screen so that the video only focuses on the 3D gameplay area? I really don't care if this is done when recording or during editing.

Something like this?

[video=youtube;5Oy1C6pTpE0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oy1C6pTpE0[/video]

I used virtualdubmod to crop it. To make it look right on youtube I had to resize it in vdmod in order to add the letterboxing, and then on youtube I had to type yt:crop=16:9 in the tags field so that it would display 16:9. I have a 16:10 monitor, so there were pillar bars in addition to the letterboxing without that youtube tag.

Something like this?

I used virtualdubmod to crop it. To make it look right on youtube I had to resize it in vdmod in order to add the letterboxing, and then on youtube I had to type yt:crop=16:9 in the tags field so that it would display 16:9. I have a 16:10 monitor, so there were pillar bars in addition to the letterboxing without that youtube tag.

Yes! Thank you! I'll experiment with the virtualdubmod.

Back
Top Bottom