Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CMBS Lack of RUS vs USA options

colin.s.davis

FGM New Member
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I just wanted to gauge anyone's thoughts on the seemingly lack of RUS vs USA options (campaigns and scenarios). It seems like the majority of the content comes from a US/UKR side. I wonder why the developers didn't include more balanced content. Did they not believe there would be interest? Did they believe they would turn off western customers? Why are most of the scenarios US/UKR vs RUS (AI only).

As I work to practice the craft from my Red Team (S2) perspective, I've been working through quick battles IOT try and work out the best task organizations and TTPs (Tactics Techniques and Procedures) for best RUS performance. While tailored forces per type of BCTs (brigade combat teams) are inherently apparent (ie- having armor vs SBCT and IBCT), here are some general observations I've made:

Task Org:
-2x TPRs: These drop CFF (call for fire missions) timeliness to close to USA times. Mortars seem to be the most responsive but are a bit in-effective and in-efficient against Bradleys and Abrams.
-Removing FOs from RUS HQs and adding 1x/per PLT
-1-2x CAS: Heli has the advantage of anywhere on the map at anytime. Trying to use UAVs to spot an area takes more prior planning otherwise you must wait 3-4min for it to shift to another location.
-Generally I currently remove from the BN: the recon PLT, ATGM PLT, engineer PLT, ADA battery (replaced w/ specific teams or vics)

TTPs
-Armor must stay in defilade until some one else spots USA vics or good targets. Then they must use berm drill TTPs of only 5sec or 10sec. Even with 10sec of exposure before reversing presents enough time for Javelin teams to ID/ lock on/ and fire.
-Revers slope/IV lines: RUS infantry almost must be on the backside of a slope/hill and engage at very close ranges IOT (in order to) mitigate the optics over match risk USA has.

Maybe if I ever have time, I may work to build RUS scenarios/campaigns to present more options.

I just wanted to gauge anyone's thoughts on the seemingly lack of RUS vs USA options (campaigns and scenarios). It seems like the majority of the content comes from a US/UKR side. I wonder why the developers didn't include more balanced content. Did they not believe there would be interest? Did they believe they would turn off western customers? Why are most of the scenarios US/UKR vs RUS (AI only).
Welcome aboard Colin! Part of this is because of the fictional story line of the game. But all the scenarios are playable from both sides. Also there's two Russian cams as well, at least for me, not sure if one of them came from the battle pack or not. I think somebody made a Russian cam as well. Not sure where it is but here's some links.

The Scenario Depot 3

CMBS Maps & Mods

The initial release of Black Sea had a campaign for US, Ukraine and the Russian Federation.
The battle pack added another US and Russian campaign.
I would like to see more Russian or Ukrainian campaigns also

I'm also pretty certain we'll get a lot more RUS vs USA content when the new module comes out this year, since it's adding the VDV and USMC. The Ukranian Air Assault forces are supposed to be added as well.
1642880502856.png
1642880573851.png

I like more Russian vs Ukraine battles or campaigns
I rarely play US side

As I work to practice the craft from my Red Team (S2) perspective, I've been working through quick battles IOT try and work out the best task organizations and TTPs (Tactics Techniques and Procedures) for best RUS performance. While tailored forces per type of BCTs (brigade combat teams) are inherently apparent (ie- having armor vs SBCT and IBCT), here are some general observations I've made:

Task Org:
-2x TPRs: These drop CFF (call for fire missions) timeliness to close to USA times. Mortars seem to be the most responsive but are a bit in-effective and in-efficient against Bradleys and Abrams.
-Removing FOs from RUS HQs and adding 1x/per PLT
-1-2x CAS: Heli has the advantage of anywhere on the map at anytime. Trying to use UAVs to spot an area takes more prior planning otherwise you must wait 3-4min for it to shift to another location.
-Generally I currently remove from the BN: the recon PLT, ATGM PLT, engineer PLT, ADA battery (replaced w/ specific teams or vics)

TTPs
-Armor must stay in defilade until some one else spots USA vics or good targets. Then they must use berm drill TTPs of only 5sec or 10sec. Even with 10sec of exposure before reversing presents enough time for Javelin teams to ID/ lock on/ and fire.
-Revers slope/IV lines: RUS infantry almost must be on the backside of a slope/hill and engage at very close ranges IOT (in order to) mitigate the optics over match risk USA has.

Maybe if I ever have time, I may work to build RUS scenarios/campaigns to present more options.

On the arty side, precision munitions are the fastest Russian artillery option (coming in faster than normal rounds although that's not always clearly indicated, also no spotting required. But need laser designator). I think 120mm are also reasonable with response times. No arty is really effective against Abrams. 152/203mm direct hits will degrade subsystems, often immobilize and sometimes KO but not reliably. ATGMs are probably most potent against Abrams and Bradleys (apart from hitting their flanks with a company of T-90 of course ;-). Helicopters can use gunruns to disable APS. AFAIK originally the Havoc and KA-52/50 ATGMs were supposed to do top down attacks, but last time I used them (quite a while ago) they were intercepted by APS.

Combine vehicle smoke with Khrizantema: it can see and fire through IR blocking smoke using it's radar.

Edit: the smallest Russian UAV can't be shot down by Stingers and is thus invulnerable.

And yes more content from Russian perspective is welcome! :)

I have yet to be effective with the Russians. I’m trying in several games but aside from slow arty, they lack firepower at the squad level.

I have had limited luck with reinforcing platoons with extra RPK teams or ATGMs as there are extra seats in the BMP.

Totally not realistic but it can help add firepower and mitigate the effect of casualties on platoon firepower in CMBS.

Let me guess you are comparing RF forces with US correct?
U have to understand US ground forces are the pinnacle of situational awareness and squad level firepower. I rarely like use US forces anymore. Too forgiving ....the same as playing US or NATO forces in Shock Force.

Back