Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Command OPs 2

Zeke_21

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Taking a look at this on Steam. From Panther Games. Core engine is free and DLCs are on sale. Has anyone tried this and what do you think?

I have a continued love affair with this since it was on Battlefront.com and called Airborne Assault.

However, I have difficulty engaging with it because of heavy iconitis. I just cannot remember random icons for long, and the pauses in playing always derail me.

The free version is more like a demo with very limited content. That's OK I suppose.

After watching the Introduction video by Panther Games I went ahead and got the bundle. Looks good. Without youtube it would have taken me a week or so just to read manuals and learn the game, but after the 30 min intro video I got the gist of the game.

AI in this one is good and it can handle as much or as little as you please. Playing the Crete Campaign. Always found this battle interesting. Playing the germans and getting my ass kicked by the AI

I have a continued love affair with this since it was on Battlefront.com and called Airborne Assault.

However, I have difficulty engaging with it because of heavy iconitis. I just cannot remember random icons for long, and the pauses in playing always derail me.

The free version is more like a demo with very limited content. That's OK I suppose.
After playing this a while I give it a big thumbs up. The graphics will limit its popularity which is too bad as underneath the hood is a very good system. If they could spice it up with an option for graphical representation like the old West Front/East Front style units-updated to 2021 standards it would be incredible. Icons and NATO symbols are ok, but these days nothing beats seeing infantry/tanks and artillery explosions.

We live in a GUI/graphical world. The old DOS days are history.

Icons and NATO symbols are ok, but these days nothing beats seeing infantry/tanks and artillery explosions.

We live in a GUI/graphical world. The old DOS days are history.
Then you would not have liked the old school board wargames much.

Then you would not have liked the old school board wargames much.
I enjoyed them a lot actually and owned quite a few. For the time they the best you could get and the computing power at the time didn't allow for fancy graphics like today.

I spent a summer playing a friend SPIs War in the Pacific. Took up the entire garage.

These days I collect the old board wargames. Playing them is another story. Space is limited and finding people to actually sit down and play is another.

I just downloaded a strategy game called Blitzkrieg to my iphone. Probably not as complex as a paradox or Gary Grigby type game, but its looks fairly deep and has good battle graphics.

I enjoyed them a lot actually and owned quite a few. For the time they the best you could get and the computing power at the time didn't allow for fancy graphics like today.

I spent a summer playing a friend SPIs War in the Pacific. Took up the entire garage.

These days I collect the old board wargames. Playing them is another story. Space is limited and finding people to actually sit down and play is another.

I just downloaded a strategy game called Blitzkrieg to my iphone. Probably not as complex as a paradox or Gary Grigby type game, but its looks fairly deep and has good battle graphics.
Oh, we have something in common. I started my wargaming hobby in 1976 with Avalon Hill's D-Day and Blitzkrieg. I have a collection as well, no oppo's and nearly not enough space. But they are great, loved playing them back in the day and pull them out to look at every once in a while. I too own a couple of SPI Monster games so I know they can take up a LOT of space.

Oh, we have something in common. I started my wargaming hobby in 1976 with Avalon Hill's D-Day and Blitzkrieg. I have a collection as well, no oppo's and nearly not enough space. But they are great, loved playing them back in the day and pull them out to look at every once in a while. I too own a couple of SPI Monster games so I know they can take up a LOT of space.
I started back around the same time. We were living in Hawaii at the time and my parents who needed a break sent me to the mainland for a summer to stay with aunt. Met someone in summer school who introduced me to SPIs Dreadnought. Also played Warzburg and Fast Carriers. I ended up buying SPIs Punic Wars and Foxbat and Phantom.

Foxbat and Phantom was a bit too advanced for me at the time, but I loved jets. In Hawaii we lived across from a Marine Corps Air Station. One day I ran into a F-4 Phantom jock and he was so impressed by my knowledge of jets he took me out to his squadron and let me sit in the front seat of his jet. As a kid I was thrilled!

Had a subscription to Strategy and Tactics magazine and I looked forward to getting my magazine and folio game. I now collect old S&T mags.

Played all sorts of board wargames up to the late 80's. I bought a personal computer in college and then moved to wargaming on the computer. I actually turned my newfound love of computers into a career. Never studied computers or programming in college.

Back in the late 90's and early 2000's there was a lot of speculation about the PC going the way of the dinosaur. Today PCs are as strong as ever. The graphics card in my machine is basically a mini-supercomputer.

I once owned SPIs Atlantic Wall, The Next War, War in the Pacific, Highway to the Reich, Mech War 2000. These were the soap box games. Then there was Terrible Swift Sword, Wellingtons Victory which were in those plastic containers. Some of these are now worth a pretty penny. I also had a bunch of AH games I traded for some cowboy matches and Playboy magazines.

I also bought all of the AH Squad Leader games and modules in the 80's.

Wished I kept all of that because they are going for good prices on EBay.

There is one game from SPI-Campaign for North Africa, that apparently nobody has every finished. It's a monster and incredibly detailed. You need to be a bookkeeper and accountant as well as a history buff and strategist to play. I had a friend who started a game, but gave up. Its reputation is so infamous it even was featured on a sitcom Big Bang Theory.

It goes for $799 on Ebay. I should have bough it back when it was $400

Yeah, I have Highway to the Reich and Atlantic Wall, so I am all about the monster soapbox games. I have Fast Carriers as well, plus the Pacific War by Victory and a bunch more. I bought my first PC in '88 and never looked back.

Yeah, I have Highway to the Reich and Atlantic Wall, so I am all about the monster soapbox games. I have Fast Carriers as well, plus the Pacific War by Victory and a bunch more. I bought my first PC in '88 and never looked back.
Highway to the Reich came out around the time the movie A Bridge Too Far was released. Family took a drive to Honolulu to see it. I still enjoy watching it today. Command Ops2 has a Highway to the Reich scenario I want to play once I get the system down better.

I saw a youtube unboxing of Decision Games War in the Pacific. The original SPI War in the Pacific was a monster game and the new DC version puts the original to shame. That is the sort of game I would buy and never punch. I have a couple of games I'll never punch as the collectors value brand new and unpunched is too good.

I recently bought a used copy of GMTs Asia Engulfed.

Last edited:
My Highway to the Reich game is still unpunched, but I played the Cherbourg scenario in Atlantic Wall a few times against a friend because my house was (and still is) not big enough for the whole game to be laid out.

Back