Cvarci

Z

zaraza

ÄŒvarci (singular ÄŒvarak) are thought to be a specialty of west Balkan cuisine but are equally found in the UK under the name pork scratchings. They are a kind of pork 'crisps' thermochemically extracted fat from bacon.

ÄŒvarci are a kind of rustic countryside specialty, common to lowland Pannonian regions of Croatia. ÄŒvarci's orginin have been protected as a Croatian product.[1] They can also be found in other ex-Yugoslavia countries. They are almost exclusively homemade, as industrial production is not common. In larger cities they can be obtained on farmer markets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Čvarci

2440856250_490525c9c9.jpg

I love cvarci...

Exactly right, AC.

I'm thinking the Food Channel should have an international Cvarak versus Cracklin cook off.

Exactly right, AC.

I'm thinking the Food Channel should have an international Cvarak versus Cracklin cook off.

That would be great. I did see an episode of Dirty Jobs where Mike Rowe visited a place that made Crackling. It was somewhere in the south and it was a pretty interesting episode. Growing up my mom used to make a kind of Crackling out of the tail when we butchered pigs. It was a real treat for us.

Back
Top Bottom