Daimler Armoured Car

M

McIvan

This is a little 1/72 model from Hesegawa....the top of the box has long been lost and it's been sitting on my desk for a while. Having more or less finished the Harvard, cockpit canopy restoration aside, I decided it was time to turn it into the finished article before something got lost.

Looking over the contents all was in order barring two important items...the axles! The model comes with two metal axles so you can have moving wheels. I manufactured two replacements by straightening and cutting a couple of paperclips to length, and all went fine.

Apart from that minor drama, the model went together quickly and easily, looking like this (wheels are still off here):

2010_0608modelslatest0002.jpg

Sprayed it Buff, which is the equivalent of the Light Stone colour used. Let it dry, then dry-brushed a lighter mix using some white, then a lighter shade again and sprayed the centres of panels and in particular the flat top areas directly exposed to the light.

2010_0616-RosehillBall0022.jpg

2010_0616-RosehillBall0023.jpg

Put decals on last night and its ready for an oil wash later tonight....

Looking good, how do you find working with the smaller scale models? Is it more difficult to achieve detailing on the smaller kits? I only ask, as I've just purchased a 1:72 kit and it looks as if the actual body of the Halftrack has little in the way of detail to detail, if you know what I mean.

Will weathering and other effects be so obvious on a smaller kit? The obvious answer to me seems to be, no.

It is tiny, but I'm quite used to working in 1/72 or 1/76 and have no problem with it. Thats what 99% of my stuff was when I was a kid.

Cillmhor, it's a scale in which less subtle techniques come into their own, particularly heavy drybrushing which is a good way to get variation in a base color such as I airbrushed onto the Crusader. I'm still playing with my airbrush, so I didn't drybrush much....just used the airbrush to lighten the centre of panels. Weathering will in fact be just as visible. You will see the effects of washes just as readily. I will try to remember to put up another pick tonight. As far as detailing goes, obviously you aren't going to have as much detail as a larger kit. The outside shapes will usually be fine, but as far as detailed interiors go you can generally forget it. I understand that some modern kits do have quite a lot of detail however...eg some of the Dragon or Trumpeter 1/72 models...but I haven't built one. The level of detail I get is small enough for me not to want to be fiddling around with even smaller details....

Picture of the Daimler more or less completed.....washed, decalled and a bit of metal added to some of the angles. Am going to add stipples of some reddish brown and orangy brown colours to the exhaust to better simulate some rusting.

Commander figure has been painted and added.

Last thing will be to give it a spray of "Dullcote" to get rid of the satin finish.

2010_0623Models0065.jpg

Back
Top Bottom