Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

FGM PC guru's - GPU help request

Badger73

One of the Few
FGM MEMBER
Attention Gamers!

I need to replace the graphics card for my five year old PC gaming laptop (MSI GT72s Dominator Pro G-220). I am quite happy with this laptop and really don't want to replace it if I can just fix the graphics card. The GPU I need is a nVidia GeForce GTX980m GDDR5 mxm. These cards don't seem readily available. I've already ordered one through Amazon which shipped from China. It proved defective and was Dead On Arrival. I plan to return it to Amazon but do not trust this vendor for another try.

Can any FGM member recommend either:
1) A reliable source (preferably North American based) from which I could purchase a new nVidia GeForce GTX980m mxm GPU?
or​
2) The name and model for a comparable newer GPU which could replace this nVidia GTX980m and is compatible with the MSI GT72s Dominator Pro G-220?

I've been burned once already and appreciate whatever help you guys might lend to keep me from being burned again. Thanks all!

Is the original MXM GPU dead or are you just looking for an upgrade? There is currently a supply shortage of all kinds of chips so it's no surprise that they are hard to find.

From what i know of the MXM standard, they should be mostly interchangeable from each other. (Just like PCIe on a desktop.) Since the 9XX series is likely being phased out you would probably have better luck looking for a newer generation.

Attention Gamers!

I need to replace the graphics card for my five year old PC gaming laptop (MSI GT72s Dominator Pro G-220). I am quite happy with this laptop and really don't want to replace it if I can just fix the graphics card. The GPU I need is a nVidia GeForce GTX980m GDDR5 mxm. These cards don't seem readily available. I've already ordered one through Amazon which shipped from China. It proved defective and was Dead On Arrival. I plan to return it to Amazon but do not trust this vendor for another try.

Can any FGM member recommend either:
1) A reliable source (preferably North American based) from which I could purchase a new nVidia GeForce GTX980m mxm GPU?
or​
2) The name and model for a comparable newer GPU which could replace this nVidia GTX980m and is compatible with the MSI GT72s Dominator Pro G-220?

I've been burned once already and appreciate whatever help you guys might lend to keep me from being burned again. Thanks all!

1) I'm not from NA but if Amazon has limited availability it's probably hard to get. I googled it and saw some crazy prices for it (>$600-$2000 on newegg).

2) Anything which uses the same MXM interface, is supported by your mobo / bios. Probably the '980 notebook' 180w version, if that's even for sale. It seems to be a beefier / unclocked version of the 980m:

However better check in your laptop/mobo documentation or check with MSI to be 100% certain. I think GPU replacements for laptops aren't really usual and so going for a slightly different model could have issues because lack of basic support, even if it could have worked fine with some proper drivers/config.
If the interface (MXM) is of the same generation, dimensions and power supply is enough than any card can run in theory (also the card needs to physically fit in your laptop). But since DIY'ing with laptops is usually frowned upon by the manufacturer, it might work or might not work.

paying significantly more than $200 or so seems excessive imo, the laptop is 5 years old and who knows how long it will last. The GPU is basically useless without the laptop.

3) A DOA isn't that strange for a sensitive thing like a mobile GPU. A bit of static and it's gone. Those cards are probably the only cards still for sale and seem to have been the original supply of replacement / repair cards for laptops (for Dell/MSI/etc) under warranty that had a GPU failure. So if that's the only $200 ish shot you can get at such a replacement card, might as well try another one especially if amazon refunds the DOA.

Last edited:
Is the original MXM GPU dead or are you just looking for an upgrade? There is currently a supply shortage of all kinds of chips so it's no surprise that they are hard to find.
No, the original GPU started to suffer the "MSI laptop shutdown without warning" when playing games. It works fine for non-gaming "office" type functions. I worked with a PC savvy friend and, after initial remedial actions, we both decided that trying a new GPU was our best option.
From what i know of the MXM standard, they should be mostly interchangeable from each other. (Just like PCIe on a desktop.) Since the 9XX series is likely being phased out you would probably have better luck looking for a newer generation.
Thank you. I will look into that.

1) I'm not from NA but if Amazon has limited availability it's probably hard to get. I googled it and saw some crazy prices for it (>$600-$2000 on newegg).
Yep, prices are sky high. A family member mentioned to me that it's not just the supply chain shortage but a new cryptocurrency demand. According to him, the cryptocurrency yahoo's are really ruining the market for graphics cards right now and driving prices up in their quest to speedrun the history of central banking. One of the issues right now with graphics cards is that with stuff like Bitcoin and Ethereum taking off, the calculations done to 'create' those currencies is actually best done by the processors in graphics cards. a big issue with getting replacement cards and stuff secondhand is that crypto folks will buy a card, run it at 100% for six to eight months making bitcoins, completely burning it out because cards aren't built to operate that hard 24/7 for months on end, then they resell it to people and just don't say anything. It's been a big problem with Chinese resellers in particular, and with China recently enacting some fairly harsh laws regarding crypto I bet the market is getting flooded with used cards as people try to cash out.

2) Anything which uses the same MXM interface, is supported by your mobo / bios. Probably the '980 notebook' 180w version, if that's even for sale. It seems to be a beefier / unclocked version of the 980m:

However better check in your laptop/mobo documentation or check with MSI to be 100% certain. I think GPU replacements for laptops aren't really usual and so going for a slightly different model could have issues because lack of basic support, even if it could have worked fine with some proper drivers/config.
If the interface (MXM) is of the same generation, dimensions and power supply is enough than any card can run in theory (also the card needs to physically fit in your laptop). But since DIY'ing with laptops is usually frowned upon by the manufacturer, it might work or might not work.
This helps me. Thank you.
paying significantly more than $200 or so seems excessive imo, the laptop is 5 years old and who knows how long it will last. The GPU is basically useless without the laptop.
I really like the features of this particular laptop. It has multiple USB ports and an optical drive no longer being made on current models. I hate to give it up for a single supposedly replaceable part.
3) A DOA isn't that strange for a sensitive thing like a mobile GPU. A bit of static and it's gone. Those cards are probably the only cards still for sale and seem to have been the original supply of replacement / repair cards for laptops (for Dell/MSI/etc) under warranty that had a GPU failure. So if that's the only $200 ish shot you can get at such a replacement card, might as well try another one especially if amazon refunds the DOA.
Agreed. Thanks.

Yep, prices are sky high. A family member mentioned to me that it's not just the supply chain shortage but a new cryptocurrency demand. According to him, the cryptocurrency yahoo's are really ruining the market for graphics cards right now and driving prices up in their quest to speedrun the history of central banking. One of the issues right now with graphics cards is that with stuff like Bitcoin and Ethereum taking off, the calculations done to 'create' those currencies is actually best done by the processors in graphics cards. a big issue with getting replacement cards and stuff secondhand is that crypto folks will buy a card, run it at 100% for six to eight months making bitcoins, completely burning it out because cards aren't built to operate that hard 24/7 for months on end, then they resell it to people and just don't say anything. It's been a big problem with Chinese resellers in particular, and with China recently enacting some fairly harsh laws regarding crypto I bet the market is getting flooded with used cards as people try to cash out.

Yeah it's both not helping. I was lucky to decide on an impulse buy RTX3080 last December. It came earlier than expected (few weeks) and for an ok price (EUR 850,-, still a LOT imo for a GPU). But now those cards cost way more (1000+).

The good news though is that there are new lines of cards with reduced hash rate, which won't be that interesting for crypto mining (for example RTX 3060 V2). So hopefully this is the start of a bit more normal market.

I really like the features of this particular laptop. It has multiple USB ports and an optical drive no longer being made on current models. I hate to give it up for a single supposedly replaceable part.

Understood. Yeah nowadays there are less and less ports on a laptop and optical drives are a thing of the past. Although there should be optical drives with USB connection and usb hubs, although that's much more cables. Just consider that a at this moment a new RTX3060 V2 (crypto unfriendly) costs about EUR 600/700,- here.

Another question: since you're going to be attacking the laptop with a screwdriver anyway: Have you tried opening it up and vacuum cleaning the fans and stuff? The issue you describe (shut down without warning) sounds like a overheating issue. The hardware could be damaged, but it could also just be a lot of dust building up limiting cooling. (EDIT: ps just to be sure, be careful not to touch chips etc with the vacuum cleaner / or whatsoever, if possible. Touching the plastic/fans etc is no issue. It's usually fine but as a kid I managed to destroy some components touching them, probably static electricity. So I've learned my lesson. )

Good luck!

So the laptop works but sometimes shuts down suddenly when playing games?

That can also be a mainboard issue or just overheat protection.

It wouldnt be a bad idea to monitor the temps and voltage before it shuts down.

Another question: since you're going to be attacking the laptop with a screwdriver anyway: Have you tried opening it up and vacuum cleaning the fans and stuff? The issue you describe (shut down without warning) sounds like a overheating issue. The hardware could be damaged, but it could also just be a lot of dust building up limiting cooling.
Yes, I've been under the hood a couple times. There was very little to clean the first time in but I blew things clean anyway.

So the laptop works but sometimes shuts down suddenly when playing games?
That can also be a mainboard issue or just overheat protection.
You're right. I investigated this particular MSI gaming laptop issue pretty thoroughly. It's an often reported problem. Mainboard checks out fine. I started using a laptop cooler pad which works great but did not solve the root issue.

It wouldnt be a bad idea to monitor the temps and voltage before it shuts down.
Agreed. I've been using the CPUID HWMonitor tool in the Windows Repair Toolbox. The NVIDIA GeForce 980 M temperatures for GPU were always reasonable but Hot Spot temps would approach 100C and then shut the laptop down.

Thank you, everyone. Good stuff to help. Keep it coming.

Yes, I've been under the hood a couple times. There was very little to clean the first time in but I blew things clean anyway.

You're right. I investigated this particular MSI gaming laptop issue pretty thoroughly. It's an often reported problem. Mainboard checks out fine. I started using a laptop cooler pad which works great but did not solve the root issue.

Agreed. I've been using the CPUID HWMonitor tool in the Windows Repair Toolbox. The NVIDIA GeForce 980 M temperatures for GPU were always reasonable but Hot Spot temps would approach 100C and then shut the laptop down.

Thank you, everyone. Good stuff to help. Keep it coming.

Mmm. I'm thinking since your 980m card doesn't have an active cooler swapping the GPU might not do anything to lower temps. And the system shutting down at 100C is probably 'working as designed'. If you could find a replacement fan for the laptop it might be worth trying. There should be some heatsink of some kind as well, which could have dust inside it, clogging up the surface area.

Usually a CPU/GPU starts throttling at 95*C and shuts down if it goes much past that. Check if the heat sink is properly connected and re apply thermal paste.

Well, it seems gaming GPU's are now scarcer than hen's teeth. I have resurrected my ten year old gaming desktop rig and, once I outfit it with a decent monitor and gaming mouse, it's older GTX 650 ti GPU replaces my gaming laptop for the time being. It may not be optimal but it meets the need.
. . . and the rising us of NFT's (Non-Fungible Tokens) is adding to the GPU shortage as well.
Take good care of your gaming PC's, my friends, and they'll take good care of you. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help.

Last edited:
There was recently a big flood of second hand GPU's on the marked from miners in china, and with the recent law changes there might be more.

Back