Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

FOG 2 Medieval Tactics

chiquichops

FGM Regimental Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
So, I'm new to FOG 2 but it's really a tabletop wargame on the computer, so I have plenty of experience at those from back in the day.
However, after playing @Wellsonian, my first human opponent (or even opponent really, because I hadn't even completed a full AI battle) I've realised that I've always played pretty intuitively. When it comes to tactics, well they were there but not on a highly analytical level.
Oh, this is getting boring already. To cut to the chase. I'm looking at my tactics, reading a bit of history, and learning a lot. The great bit is learning so much history.
Also, I can't really find any deep tactical guides for the game but there are quite a few things about the tabletop game.
Here's a link:
If you've been on the Slitherine forum, you've probably seen this anyway.
So, if you haven't, give the game a go (is there a demo? Not sure), share what you learn and hit me up for a good mutual kicking on the field.
I know I'm a late arrival and some of you have been into FOG2 for ages, just chipping in.
Ta very much

FOG2 is a complex game with a lot going on inside the code. Good tactics matter but luck plays a big role too.
The best advice I received was to understand two critical aspects; Points Of Advantage and Terrain. Use them to disrupt your opponent. Once you disrupt a unit, you can defeat it. I'm still learning how to do that.

Last edited:
I got this thinking it was a medieval version of Empires but different company put out the Empires while just using the FOG engine for tactical battles.

Hope eventually a Empires of medieval period comes out.

I kept this anyway. Could have got a refund off Steam but decided against it. Played a few battles. The campaign side of it looks weak, but otherwise pretty solid game.

@Zeke_21 I did mean to say:
The battles are great against another player, that's what I got it for. It'd be good to have a campaign, sure.

Last edited:
I’m sure this is tons of fun against another human. I’ll have to give it a try sometime.

I’ve got my hands full with 2 mirrored Combat Mission games, 3 Campaign games with Grigsby and other games as well as other activities outside gaming.

If you look on Matrix’s site a Reconquesta add on is coming up for this.

Not sure if the current 30% off applies.

MTK, they were wearing armor and mail coats, they’re are going to be restricted in their movement Same with the heavy horse units. That was just the nature of the beast in that era.

I agree with you, the DLC should offer some different challenges

I'm not a big fan of FoG II: Medieval.
The troop types/formations seem to be too restrictive in movement and combat. IMHO battles have started to seem a bit repetitive.
What the Reconquista DLC might offer is stuff that may well change all that and bring a little more interest in battles for the players.
Hope so. :2charge:

Depends which era or area you are playing -- head east or north and things get quite fluid -- get Mongols involved and things get totally out of hand.

Yeah, admittedly my sample size is too low to complain much.
Yeah, I think that battle we had between the Poles and The Germans might illustrate what Rico is talking about. Clearly, in that battle, the Germans were better armored and that offset the Polish mounted unit advantage. Plus the Polish infantry was not all that well armored either IMO.

Back