Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

FOG2 Medieval "First Blood" Tournament - starts 1 March 2021

Badger73

One of the Few
FGM MEMBER
As the title says, go here to check it out --> Field of Glory II: Medieval - First Blood Tournament

The first round will commence on Monday 1st March at 10.00 am GMT. No further entries can be accepted after the tournament has begun. To join up, go --> here

This tournament will involve five rounds. Each round will last 14 days. The battles will be Medium-sized custom battles:
- England 1066 AD: Norman 1041-1071 AD vs English 1066 (Anglo-Saxon). North European Agricultural.
- Flanders 1214 AD: French 1155-1319 AD vs German (Imperial) 1200-1319 AD. North European Agricultural.
- Estonia 1223 AD: Danish 1200-1319 AD with Baltic Tribes 1050-1319 allies vs Teutonic Order 1226-1319. (Representing the Livonian Brothers of the Sword). North European Marshy.
- Ukraine 1223 AD: Russian 1155-1264 AD with Cuman 1180-1394 allies vs Mongol (Europe) 1223-1241 AD. Steppe.
- Lower Austria 1260 AD: Hungarian 1200-1319 AD vs Bohemian 1200-1319 AD. North European Agricultural.

For those still interested, here is a @RichardYorke video on the tournament army lists that is well worth watching. :2charge:
I've gotten as far as Round 3 which doesn't look good for the Northern Crusaders. o_O
--> Field of Glory II Medieval public First Blood Tournament Faction overview

Thanks for the link to the video.

How's it going for everybody else?

I managed to win both battles, but actually my Norman side battle was a very close affair, could have easily gone the other way.

Its a nightmare to discover the effects of knigthly lancers vs regular lancers. Luckily I had enough infantry to stem the tide against them.

Hi, won both as well. (joch1955 over there)

I was a bit surprised since I only started playing FOG 2 when Medieval came out. I thought my 1st MP games would be a disaster, but it actually went very well even though my opponent did know what he was doing.

I think years of playing MP CM games teaches you or drills into you, sometimes brutally, the importance of the basics: having a general idea out of the gate what your basic plan will be, making sure your deployment matches your plan while being flexible enough to adapt to what your opponent is doing, the importance of having fresh reserves, etc.

CM, especially modern CM also teaches you to think in three dimensions since you will never see what kills you and anything anywhere on the map is a potential threat. Compared to that, FOG 2 feels fairly quaint: you can see every unit your opponent has, you can easily guess what he is trying to do and you know nothing can harm you until they get very, very close.

Having said that, I have to say this game is addictive...:2charge:

This is well said. For additional H2H play, consider joining Slitherine's FOG2 Digital League. @olaf suggested it first on these forums and I'm glad I took him up on it. The fun there is that you play one army of your choice against nine different opponents. Check it out at Field of Glory II Digital League.

Season 10 is halfway through and closed to additional players but Season 11 will start on June 1st. Invitations will go out during week commencing 17 May. Contact "stockwellpete" on the Slitherine forums go get invited.

Allow me to bask in a fleeting moment of FOG2 Medieval glory; Silver Cup holder in the First Blood Tournament. I'm certain it will pass quickly.

1615853548990.png

My second round Czech Republic opponent hammered out all our turns today and completed both our mirror matches. We split our wins, each triumphed as French. Notice how the Gold Cup holder scores more in a single round than I can in two! o_O

Allow me to bask in a fleeting moment of FOG2 Medieval glory; Silver Cup holder in the First Blood Tournament. I'm certain it will pass quickly.

View attachment 22825

My second round Czech Republic opponent hammered out all our turns today and completed both our mirror matches. We split our wins, each triumphed as French. Notice how the Gold Cup holder scores more in a single round than I can in two! o_O

Congrats Badger! Did our practice matches help?

Congrats Badger! Did our practice matches help?
They did, @Wellsonian although I was overconfident of my Germans and badly miss-handled them.

The sad thing I noticed when scanning tournament results is that 28 first round matches fully timed-out or were complete no-shows in both pairings. An additional ten matches timed out in one of the pairings. While 297 people signed up, it seems more and more of a crapshoot whether your opponent will play you or not. I wish there were a way that non-starter matches could be culled so that the people actually playing could be re-paired with a viable opponent. The administration for that, though, would be a nightmare.

(BTW, my moment of glory is over now . . . . :cry: )

Battle is about to be joined. My oppo is no amateur, he has chosen an infantry heavy force which he has deployed in a checkerboard fashion with crossbowmen interleaved and one square back from the infantry units. It can be very effective, but fortunately I know what are the weak points of this type of defence.

I have chosen a cavalry heavy force with Knights in front leading the way and infantry following close behind to reinforce any breakthrough.

Should be fun...

Charge... :2charge:

Back