Gotta love this game ...

Still having trouble getting the CMBN demo to run smoothly on my PC. Until then, I can only enjoy CMBN vicariously through these types of posts. This is a feature I wish the CMx1 games had employed.

Yo Bro! Is it because your comp isn't up to handling the requirements or is there another reason you can't get it to work?

Saw something I'd never seen before in an ongoing Domination battle ... a PzSchreck team was sharing a trench with a Hvy MG 42 team. After both the Pzschrek guys got killed by a mortars, one of the members of the MG team picked up the Schreck and started taking potshots at enemy armour.
How cool is that? :D
It's slightly less cool when you lose a Sherman to said hybrid MG-Panzerschreck hero!

Yo Bro! Is it because your comp isn't up to handling the requirements or is there another reason you can't get it to work?
My PC is a Lenovo laptop, about 8 months old, running a Core i5 processor. It has handled all my other games rather well.I probably have a lot of crap running on the background.

I have found out that CMBN actually uses a lot more GPU than CPU, and usually even if a laptop has decent processor it won't have good enough GPU for games. When I changed my processor from dual core Pentium to Core i5 I didn't notice much change, but when I upgraded my graphics card from Radeon 4830 (or something) to GTX 460 I noticed quite a large difference.

I have found out that CMBN actually uses a lot more GPU than CPU, and usually even if a laptop has decent processor it won't have good enough GPU for games. When I changed my processor from dual core Pentium to Core i5 I didn't notice much change, but when I upgraded my graphics card from Radeon 4830 (or something) to GTX 460 I noticed quite a large difference.
OK

That's not necessarily true especially with battlefront games. Most laptops are know all multi core processors with slower cpus being able to handle more with less heat. I have a pretty kick ass quad core gaming laptop with a nvidia 460m 1.5 gig card. I can play total war games and fps on almost maxed out graphics.

But in the case of cmbn if i go above medium sized armys things can get a bit laggy. Most multi cores in laptops dont go over 3 ghz when a decent desktop cpu start out at 3 ghz.

Being how these games are still single threaded and 32 bit. Multi core helps very little other then if you have programs running in the background.

So basically yes graphics card is important but the eye candy can be turned down. What's more important is your cpu speed which in most cases you'd be better with a faster dual core mobile cpu then a quad. Usually the duals are a bit faster then the quads.

dce21b-
I have a Nvidia 280m and I'm suffering from "open GL" issues. What does this mean? I've checked Nvidia's forums and the most I've can find out is that it is a common problem with the 280m series.

I wouldn't know... sounds like your boned. The 260m i would assume is an older generation card that had issues that the 460 had corrected. You know how it is though bought today old tomorrow

Thanks for that tip.
:")
LH

So basically yes graphics card is important but the eye candy can be turned down. What's more important is your cpu speed which in most cases you'd be better with a faster dual core mobile cpu then a quad. Usually the duals are a bit faster then the quads.

I do disagree about cpu being more important, however, if one wants to increase cpu performance, at least on my desktop pc I can choose to only use 1-3 cores out of 4 in bios/efi. Using less cores means less heat output, which means the automatic overclocking feature of i5 will be able to push those fewer cores to higher frequency. I'm at the moment running only two cores out of four, because no game or program I have uses more than two. Blender might use more when rendering, but I'm mainly not doing rendering stuff so...

I'm not sure if this applies to laptops though, they usually come with simplified bios/efi.

For me, the problem with the latest Lenovo -- or at least the one that I got for work recently -- is that the video card is based on the Intel HD 3000 chipset. See this thread (http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=103999) for more details and a link to the Battlefront knowledgebase article. In my opinion it isn't as dire as stated on the boards. I've gotten used to it but it sucks compared to my desktop with an older ATI 5770.

Quite impressive Rico. Can't believe you had that occur - my favorite time in this game was staging an 'softening' of a target with indirect (blind) gunfire in lieu of supporting an assault. Quote impressive when the assault was in action - the team was howling and firing violently at the opponent with a sense of 'real' control...kind of chilling since it was very 'precise' ...replayed it maybe 10 times?

Rico , SgtMedrow , enven and all: Rico is right - it is happening in CMBN all the time. That's a new feature and I like it very much too! ;)

Other soldiers pick up bazookas + rockets, panzerschrecks + rockets, panzerfausts, sniper rifles and even demolition charges from dead (or wounded) soldiers, allthough these weapons do not originally belong to them.
So if - for example - a bazooka team is laying dead somewhere you may sent somebody (or a team) there for to recover the weapon and the rockets. :)

Rico , SgtMedrow , enven and all: Rico is right - it is happening in CMBN all the time. That's a new feature and I like it very much too! ;)

Other soldiers pick up bazookas + rockets, panzerschrecks + rockets, panzerfausts, sniper rifles and even demolition charges from dead (or wounded) soldiers, allthough these weapons do not originally belong to them.
So if - for example - a bazooka team is laying dead somewhere you may sent somebody (or a team) there for to recover the weapon and the rockets. :)
Indeed. I had a Tank Hunter team end a scenario armed with a Shreck (empty), and MG42 (50rnd) and his Schmeisser (empty). He'd fired off his Pf30 and both the team's demo charges, and emptied his MP40 getting his 13 combat victories and an M8 Greyhound, then vultured Buddy Aided half a dozen other teams looking for 9mm ammo.

Back
Top Bottom