Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Grand Tactician Civil War

This does look lush and deep. My only nit picky question is why the campaign map reads, "Historical Map of the War of the Independance"? Isn't "War of the Rebellion" more apt?
War of Independence if you are a Southerner, War of Rebellion if you are a Northerner.

Well, must say I like what I see here.
Good to know you can really fine tune the AI ability. I think he needed to adjust the AI to be substantially more aggressive, but since it's all just for show...
Hopefully it's only an adjustment/Beta issue.
Not an RTS fan, but the game speed seems to be rather leisurely and not the usual brown alert, panic click fest I enjoy soo much.
Will probably get it since it seems to be the best ACW game on the market atm.
Given all my recent game purchases I'll probably wait for a price drop, but will get there eventually unless some shiney, new item shows up. :giggle:

Last edited:
This looks interesting and the tactical level reminds me of Sid Meier's Gettysburg that I played back in the day. GTCW also has a strategic level that encompasses the entire war. Very cool. The hand written reports are a nice touch and have a lot of detailed information.

The videos that I've seen of the battles seem a little blurry. I hope the release version of the game has sharper images of the units and allows the player to zoom in and see individual troops / uniforms / equipment (within reason). Not asking for fancy graphics just something at least as good as what Sid Meier's Gettysburg had 20+ years ago.

This has been done before. In 2006 Matrix Games released "Forge of Freedom". It offered three levels of play details; strategic, strategic-operational and strategic-operational-tactical. Good game, I have it. The tactical graphics were not as good as Sid's Gettysburg, but it was and is an interesting game.

I notice that this developer has a previous game "The Seven Years War (1756-1763)". I'll read up on that and "Forge of Freedom".

I notice that this developer has a previous game "The Seven Years War (1756-1763)". I'll read up on that and "Forge of Freedom".
I have "The Seven Years War (1756-1763)" but have yet to dive into it. Got it dirt cheap during one of the Steam sales. But the subject interests me and I will eventually get around to it.

It's been a good long time since I played FoF. One of the chief complaints was the "Richmond bug", in which the Confederate AI is fixated on defending Richmond. Another was the primitive graphics compared to Gettysburg. But IMO it does a serviceable job. I like the fact that in one game I can play strategic mode, like AGEOD's Civil War title or play in greater detail down to fighting individual battles..

It seems like it isn't the UT video quality, unfortunately, after all.
It looks to me the battle map terrain & unit graphics are a bit washed out? Fuzzy?
Compared to Ultimate General they are really quite poor.
Everything else kind of looks amazing though, doesn't it?
With the amount of detail provided I can't really grasp the amount of work involved here.
Given that, what's with the graphics?

It seems like it isn't the UT video quality, unfortunately, after all.
It looks to me the battle map terrain & unit graphics are a bit washed out? Fuzzy?
Compared to Ultimate General they are really quite poor.
Everything else kind of looks amazing though, doesn't it?
With the amount of detail provided I can't really grasp the amount of work involved here.
Given that, what's with the graphics?
Seven Year War, by the same developer, which I have, has similar graphics. I think that's the nature of the game engine, but I could be wrong. It's a one-man shop.

This is looking like a very interesting game. I wish the graphics were a little better but everything else seems so good I'm sure I'll buy it anyways. This game has so much detail...... The player can re-name every Army, Corps, Division and Brigade in the game and change the OOB. The type of uniform the troops in a brigade wear can be modified to a certain extent.

I was reading a developer blog at http://www.grandtactician.com/thecivilwar/blog/?pg=2 The below was paraphrased from the blog.

When the armies move and cities are conquered, the front lines move as well. Area and infrastructure under your control is blocked from the enemy to use freely – this includes and allows cutting supply lines!

Raiding will be an important tactic, which will effect the area for a time, as replacing equipment, roads, railroads, etc. are needed.

Combat and command radii of the army. Within the combat radius (inner circle), enemy units are engaged if the unit stance is set to offensive – if defensive, the unit will stop and start digging in. Within the command radius (outer ring) other armies can reinforce this army, in case it goes to battle. Though, the further away the other armies are, the longer it takes for them to reach the battlefield.

On the OOB screen, commanders can transfer units within the army, or between armies, by simply dragging and dropping,

As in battles, we use order delays on campaign as well. Here, too, the delays depend on initiative of commanders and distance between units within an army.

The player can use the army to construct telegraph stations. But these stations can be captured or burned down by the enemy, which will mean the loss of communications and much slower delivery of orders. Other military infrastructure the player’s armies can erect in the game are supply depots and forts.

There are 26 different ship types available to build, from simple gunboat steamers (mainly civilian ships with some armament) to ocean going ironclads.

Looking forward to this. :)

Back