Great War novels - my favourites

• Thread starter Bert Blitzkrieg
  • Start date
B

Bert Blitzkrieg

Ok perhaps "great" is not the right way to decribe them, but anyway.

My personal list:
- Run silent, run deep (Edward L. Beach); great story about a submarine commander in the Pacific
- Red Storm Rising (Tom Clancy); kept me reading till 02.00 in the morning !!
- Hunt for Red October (Tom Clancy); more of a coldwar story, but also very good ! (For me the early Clancy books are much better then his later work.)
- War of the Rats (David L. Robbins): the movie Enemy at the Gates was made after this book
- Sven Hassel series (Sven Hassel); very entertaining
- Flight of the Intruder (Stephen Coontz); since reading this book I just love the A6!
- Team Yankee (Harold Coyle); about a platoon of A1 Abrams tanks in World War III

Of course there are more good books I read over the years, but these I remember best.

I agree with you on the early work of Tom Clancy. Red Storm Rising was my favorite and it also kept me up late every time I read it.

My list would include:
Red Storm Rising & The Hunt for Red October - Tom Clancy
The 13th Valley - John Del Vecchio. A Novel about an Infantry Platoon in Vietnam
Battle Cry - Leon Uris. A Great read about Marines in WWII
North to Rabaul - Christopher Wood. Another Novel on the war in the Pacific
All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque. The WWI Classic

There are lots of others that I have enjoyed greatly but these are the ones that stick out to me as ones I particularly liked. I have reread all of these several times.

My favorite remains "Killer Angels". I guess I've read it close to ten times over the years.

Yes, another great one. The movie is also excellent. Every time I watch it I still get chills when Chamberlain (Jeff Daniels) gives the order "BAYONETS!!!"

The Thin Red Line - James Jones
King Rat - James Clavell
Stalingrad - Anthony Beevor

Back
Top Bottom