Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

I love Combat Mission

B

Blady

Once in a while you have these turns... that just realize how much I love Combat Mission. :2draw:
Got 3 Panthers and a PzIV at the cost of 1 t-34 (I'll be quiet about the, at least, 6 t-34's I lost previous to this in some of the long range exchanges before-hand). But what I love most are those shots into the column from both sides, some going straight through even. The one going through the turret actually missed another one by a few meters, would have been lovely to get two kills in one shot.

Btw: sorry for the poor quality, it seems youtube compressed it to hell. I have no experience with posting video's at all, so please forgive me.

It's a PvP game. We had been exchanging long range (1200+ m) shots for more then 60 minutes already. After wearing down my armor quite a bit in that (let's be honest, t-34 vs panther long range isn't exactly a fair fight) I guess he felt the time was right to charge.

I hope! ;)

Those panthers have been near invincible for the most part of this game. If you look closely (through the blur) that leading tank is actually quite scarred from earlier hits, ricochets, broken up shells, you name it... So happy to see their flanks exposed finally... ;)

Yup no more game! Just a load of work really. Putting tanks half way across the map and then back again to check LOS for no gain. Maybe I should have continued.

So basically this was some kind of suicide rush?

How did you manage to survive 60 minutes of duelling Panthers against T-34s at 1200m range?

Suicide rush yes. Panthers survive but they still get damaged and on some occasions even got penetrated through their frontal turret at that range. Good game still and very well defended by you.
CM needs an LOS tool. Basically there is no way (that I know of) where I can tell if I can see another tank from a different position without actually putting the tank there. Yes I can see LOS from a waypoint but it doesnt take into consideration a heightened LOS from a turret to turret.

If anyone got any tips to deal with these moments they are welcome :) We know that seeing something visible from our viewpoint in CM doesnt always translate to actual LOS.

I think the worst is those moments where your tank can see the enemy tank, but it can't fire... while the enemy can.

I dont know what I could have done different to be honest. I had a mass grouping of panzers to overwhelm individual enemy tanks who opened fire but even that didnt work as they couldnt spot certain areas. Fire arcs had no relevance. Im not sure how to move into contact like that and make it count.

If anyone got any tips to deal with these moments they are welcome :) We know that seeing something visible from our viewpoint in CM doesn't always translate to actual LOS.
It was an awesome game from my perspective, cat and mouse all the way. I have had to shift large parts of my defense force several times to deal with a new push from your side. Since it was a very big map, that meant scrambling trucks from wherever I could scramble them (too far too run for infantry), re-assigning reserves and re-evaluating missions and positioning of reserves left to defend your original push. The only things that didn't shift positions is the sapper platoon in the village and the guns (I tried shifting one of those, but it got killed fast)

Your armor ruled man, once you started putting them in the trees at distance, I could only get the occasional "plunk" if I saw them at all. I think I lost at least 3 tanks to "unknown assailants". Good thing we had plenty of time in the scenario (2 hours?!) so I tried out different things, with varying degrees of success:
- I started with finding good hull-down positions. That worked to fend off your first armored push, but once you started putting them in the trees they got slaughtered this way
- Second was putting mine in the trees too, up to the point they should have LOS to your tank (with LOS tool), that failed miserably and these got slaughtered before getting into position
- Then I tried putting them slightly further back in the trees, with LOS up until just before where your tank should be. That worked better, but I needed several turns sometimes in order to start spotting your tank
- I also tried placing infantry (especially bailed tank crews from same platoon that still had their binocular) closer to the forest edges, to help with the spotting. That helped a lot with spotting but problem was the T-34's needed about 3 shots to hit home, then a few more to start penetrating, and by that time you picked off the t-34.
- Lastly I resorted to retreating them to keyhole positions, with an occasional shoot-and-soot to not give you the impression you were totally in the clear.

The latter was effective, especially when you started getting the armor out in the open, because I could bring them to flanking positions. Though a lot of the shoot-and-scoot were utterly useless (more of a try-to-spot-anything and scoot) due to lack of a spot on the location I chose. I often didn't dare drive them further out in fear of the super-fast "spot-aim-kill" cycle of those panthers.

Awesome game, and very well played. I was shitting my pants several times!

Shoot and scoot can be dealt with from having more armour in place to shoot back when the shooter crests, but here that didnt work so I had to give up. I knew there was no clearing from either direction but I was hoping my panthers would pick up the t34s as they crested back, but to no avail.

Does shoot and scoot even work in Combat Mission? It seems to me the shooter would be at a disadvantage moving into position. Moving = easier to spot, and worse at spotting. When the shooter stops moving, he then has to aquire the target and aim.. and the first shot at that range is likely to miss - from both sides. Then back down again, resetting the engagement.

Does shoot and scoot even work in Combat Mission? It seems to me the shooter would be at a disadvantage moving into position. Moving = easier to spot, and worse at spotting. When the shooter stops moving, he then has to aquire the target and aim.. and the first shot at that range is likely to miss - from both sides. Then back down again, resetting the engagement.
You would think so. Not here. Im not sure what lessons I would get from this battle. None of my tanks in a massive group of panzers could spot where the shooter came from. If recon by fire does not work Im not sure what to do or how to progress. Time runs out eventually if I have to area fire every location.

Last edited by a moderator:
On reviewing the map it would have been alot easier to rush north and take the objectives there

Back