Is it illegal to wear medals you weren't awarded?

Bootie

FGM OWNER
Staff member
Reaction score
Untitled-686.jpg

LINK

I don't know if it's illegal or not, but it sickens me. When I was in the military our unit had a block leave policy. Unless it was an emergency, the whole unit got leave at the same time twice a year. I was returning from a leave period and while I was in the airport waiting for a flight I saw a lad from my unit. Apparently, in the two weeks we were on leave he had been promoted 5 pay grades, been awarded a chest full of medals, and attended several different training schools.

When I got back to my unit I made sure his Platoon Sergeant was aware of what a stellar soldier he had serving under him. Since we were an all volunteer unit we were also able to ask those who did not meet the unit standards to kindly do their service elsewhere. The soldier in question was gone without further delay.

Yes, I sill have my Grandads medals (somewhere) but i don't think i'd ever wear them

In the US, it is now illegal to claim to have military rank or awards you have not earned.

In Greece a member of the armed forces that wears medals that didnt earn,if cought,will face court martial.
A civilian that wears medals or decorations that he is not entitled to will also have troubles with the law.

As a veteran, and a member of a veterans' organization, my experience has been, the more one talks about what they have done, the less likely they will have done them. Most veteran's will discuss what they have done, if asked, but they will not bring them up unless appropriate to the conversation. They also tend to more open with those who had the same experiences. As a peacetime Marine, I have always felt a little to the outside. Especially around those marines who fought in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. I would never presuppose to wear something I didn't earn.

As a veteran, and a member of a veterans' organization, my experience has been, the more one talks about what they have done, the less likely they will have done them. Most veteran's will discuss what they have done, if asked, but they will not bring them up unless appropriate to the conversation. They also tend to more open with those who had the same experiences. As a peacetime Marine, I have always felt a little to the outside. Especially around those marines who fought in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. I would never presuppose to wear something I didn't earn.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

:usa2:

My experience has been that phonies are quite happy to blab about how they won the war to the general public, but as soon as i mention i'm into military history they shut up like clams because they know i'll trip them up by asking awkward questions..:)
Incidentally, some vets who are real vets have poor memories, so we should take care not to think they're phonies too. For example my dad was an RAF mechanic all through WW2, but as he got older he regularly began mis-identifying aircraft on TV; for example "That's a Mitchell Marauder" he said once, whereas in fact no such aircraft existed..
And in books too, genuine vets occasionally make mistakes, so there again we shouldn't automatically think they're phonies, it could just be their memory playing up

Incidentally, some vets who are real vets have poor memories, so we should take care not to think they're phonies too. For example my dad was an RAF mechanic all through WW2, but as he got older he regularly began mis-identifying aircraft on TV; for example "That's a Mitchell Marauder" he said once, whereas in fact no such aircraft existed..
And in books too, genuine vets occasionally make mistakes, so there again we shouldn't automatically think they're phonies, it could just be their memory playing up

An Eexcellent point, however, I think the mistakes that real vets makes are usually forgetting incidental or minor details. These are simple memory lapses or the difference in the way several people remember a specific incident or detail, they are not designed to increase the speaker's reputation or hero status. While there are exceptions, it is generally pretty easy to spot a phony the minute they open their mouth.

Back
Top Bottom