Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

It Never Snows in September - The German View of MARKET-GARDEN and the Battle of Arnhem

Kandu

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Author: Robert J. Kershaw.
I found this to be an excellent read in terms of the book's emphasis, which is the moment-by-moment German ad-hoc organization and responses to an evolving chaotic emergency. The Germans' ability to quickly mix infantry, air and naval types including some not fully trained, into effective fighting elements, arming them as they marched towards the combat zones, speaks volumes of German staff ability. The fog of war comes through powerfully in this book with frequent unexpected encounters producing horrible effects on both sides as well as missed opportunities. One quote, "The British drank too much tea". A worthwhile read for scenario creators in terms of who's who on the ground. As a Dutch-Canadian I was pleased to read that the voluntary Dutch SS faired poorly.

Last edited:
I agree, it is a good one. Like you said, how they threw units together was an interesting insight. Also a nice change of pace not to read the "same old" Market Garden story. I remember making notes for potential scenarios but haven't got around to it (yet).

Read it a long while ago; I agree that it is an excellent book and very good to hear the German side of the battle for a change.

i read this several years ago and thought it a great read. If you want to read a fantastic book from the British side at Arnhem, check out his other book 'A street in Arnhem' it is utterly gripping, edge of your seat/backs against the wall stuff in parts. Highly recommend both books.

i read this several years ago and thought it a great read. If you want to read a fantastic book from the British side at Arnhem, check out his other book 'A street in Arnhem' it is utterly gripping, edge of your seat/backs against the wall stuff in parts. Highly recommend both books.
I agree -- both books a great read.

Back