It's About Time

A

ACSpectre

VA.jpg

http://www.military.com/news/article/va-to-reopen-gulf-war-vets-files.html?wh=wh

This has been a perplexing diagnosis. The VA would have a thorough record of any and all common symptoms and a respectable cross section of those in the Gulf War to measure them from.

In addition, there is nothing to restrict medical studies on behalf of veterans of that campaign by any reputable medical research institution. I have worked with federal agencies on projects that I have some expertise and I have nearly zero confidence that any federal agency can come to an equitable and reasonable decision on anything. They are great at collecting data. They are good at compiling it into something almost understandable. They are nearly paralyzed when it comes to taking all that information and turning it into a decision.

One of the federal officials I worked with commented to me something I won't forget. He said," At every level of bureaucracy a new administration emerges every 4 or so years. Each one wants to shape the bureaucracy into something they can claim as their own. The bureaucracy is like a huge ship and it takes a long time to change course. By the time the get the orders, turn the wheel and get the engine up to speed; it's time to change course again."

I wouldn't expect anything new with the VA's course change or that there is anything new to discover.

Sadly, I feel your analysis is correct but I do hold a little hope that the additional attention may help spark some action outside the federal arena. Shinseki has a reputation as a go getter, hopefully he will see the merits of moving this outside the federal purview.

Back
Top Bottom