Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Ivanov Tournament for CMRT (finished)

Friedrich

FGM Corporal
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
The Ivanov tournament for CMRT will start soon. This is my first tournament creation and I am also relatively new to maps and scenario creation.

The maps are tiny-small size and the forces consist of infantry forces from a platoon size to company (+) size.

I want to thank @Stafford and @Horza Omanid for playtesting all three missions and their helpful advices, @kranus for his help in mission 1 and @Drifter Man for his helpful advices regarding the tournament rules. The tournament and its content is nearly ready. I am still doing some important playtesting for mission 3, but because the missions will be played successively the tournament can already start in the soon future.

The tournament setting is a bit unconventional, for example the participants will not play against each other, which I think is normally the preferred way when taking part in a tournament. Also the Ivanov rule could be a bit frustrating. But nevertheless I hope that for some FGM members this tournament could still be fun to play.

1. short summary:

The tournament consists of three scenarios I have created and not published yet. The maps and the mission are fictional and the participants will play a fictional in game character with the name Ivanov. In the first mission Ivanov is a platoon leader, in the 2nd and 3rd mission he will become a company commander.

The three missions of the tournament will be played successively by the tournament participants (Soviets) against me as the game master (Germans). The missions (scenarios) are not balanced. Mission 1 is easy, mission 2 medium difficulty and mission 3 a hard nut to crack.
The tournament players compete against each other in who can win these missions while taking the lowest amount of casualties. The minimum amount of participants is 4, the maximum is 8.

Execution of the tournament:

2.after the sign up phase the game master sets up separate dropbox folder for each tournament participants and invites the participants into their individuell dropbox folder for this tournament.

2.1 All participants taking part in the tournament will start at the 1st mission (scenario) and play successively until the 3rd final mission.

2.2 the starting file the participants will receive are the first save game (001.ema). Therefore the participants will not have the battle file (btt.) so that all participants will have to play the tournament missions blind.

2.3 because all participant have to play the missions blind, the playtesters who helped me testing the missions are not allowed to take part in the tournament ranking. They are invited, if they like, to take part as guests of honor, their scores will be published, but without taking part in the tournament ranking.

2.4 if a player does not win the 1st mission he can not continue the tournament, the same as if he does not win the 2nd mission. Only in the final 3rd mission besides a win also a draw is allowed and will let the player stay inside the tournament.

2.5 if their ingame character of the player (Ivanov) gets killed KIA or heavily WIA (casualty) at any time, the player has to leave the tournament independently from any battle results.

2.6 after all participants will have finished playing the 1st mission, will put at the same hour the new starting save game for mission 2 into the already existing dropbox folder. Only players which had won the 1st mission will receive the new save game for 2nd mission. For the 3rd mission it is the same procedure as above.

2.7 the participants will have 3 weeks time to finish the 1st mission (15 turns), 6 weeks for the 2nd mission (30 turns) and 9 weeks for the 3rd mission (45 turns). The time limit begins when the game master sends his first file into the dropbox folder of the participants.
The game master is allowed to increase the time limits at any time at his ruling, but only the time limit for all participants equally.

Scoring:

3. each mission (scenario) has area (terrain) objectives the players have to capture. These objectives are the only way to get battle scores. These battles scores will be converted into tournament scores with following calculation: battle score participant minus battle score game master minus 1 point for every participant friendly KIA minus 0.7 point participants friendly heavily WIA plus 1 point for every casualty inflicted by the Ivanov unit = tournament points for this mission.
3.1 the tournament points for each mission will be added and the player which has after the 3rd final mission the most points is the tournament winner.
3.2 the game master does not take part in the tournament ranking, he is only there to conduct the tournament.
3.3 if nobody wins the 2nd or 3rd mission the player who gots the most points in the mission or missions before that case is the tournament winner.
The score for the round in which all players lost the game does not count to the total score. However, players who lost their game character in this last round do not receive any score and are eliminated from the tournament.
3.4 for every casualty inflicted by the Ivanov unit the tournament participant get +1 tournament points.

Special rule for the 1st mission:

4. in the 1st mission, the player is allowed to split Ivanov's command squad. However, if they do, any kills his machine gun team earns while operating independently will not receive any extra points that Ivanov's team would. Once split, you cannot remerge the two teams again so that the kill counts are kept separate.

In the next days I am going to give a short summary/preview about each mission (scenario).

(rulebook update on 26th May)

Last edited:
In the first mission Ivanov is tasked to take over an enemy outpost.
m1.png
A platoon attack
m2.png

Briefing:
mission 1 text 1.pngm1 t2new.pngmission 1 text 3.png

Preview for the 2nd and 3rd mission will follow the next days.

Last edited:
The final mission: Two Bridges
A river crossing against heavily fortified enemy positions behind wired obstacles and mines. A hard nut to crack.
m6.png
m5.png
m3 t1new.pngm3 t2.png

Now after introducing the rules and the missions the sign up phase begins. We need at least two players, the maximum would be 8 tournament participants.
(@Cargol, you are already signed up)

Last edited:
Technical the tournament could be played with at least 2 players, but I have now decided that it is practical too risky, because of rules 2.4 and 2.5, this tournament with only two players could be finished way too prematurely, which would not stand in an appropriate relation to the time and effort my playtesters and I put into this tournament.

Therefore I am changing the minimum amount of players to 4 participants and I am going to wait until 27th of May.
If then the minimum amount of participants will not have been reached, I will cancel the tournament and maybe put some rework into it to make it more attractive.

I am confident that within the next week enough participants will be reached, but if not from my side there will be no bad blood. I am believing in the marketplace of ideas and the free market. If my "product" will not have hit the interests of the FGM player base, it will be the free market decision, which can be harsh, but at the same time provides the most fair competition of ideas and products.

Last edited:
The tournament is going to start tomorrow on the 27th of May.
@Cargol , @Raging Al , @xmax , @A Canadian Cat
I am going to send you a message to set our dropbox folder for the tournament up and my goal is, that tomorrow you will all receive the starting file.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Late registration for the tournament will be open until 30th of May, but not beyond.

Hi Friedrich. Great news, looking forward to this. I’m away from tomorrow until Monday, so my first turn won’t be until Monday night/Tuesday morning. Hope that’s ok.

The tournament has started, all participants have received their starting file.
Good luck and have fun!

To start the tournament you can put the save file (The Outpost your name 001) into the incoming email folder for CMRT and load the file like a normal PBEM.

(Late registration for the tournament will be open until 30th of May.)

Last edited:
When you have captured the terrain objective, you can ether press ceasefire, or use the remaining time to give buddy aid to your heavily wounded soldiers, in order to decrease their chance to turn into KIA. WIA (heavy) gives minus 0.7 points and KIA minus 1 tournament points, but just be careful to not step on a mine or get hit by a bullet while giving buddy aid. It is your choice how to proceed.

As far as I know the game turns some heavily WIA into KIA after the match has ended and before the game generates the battle result screen. WIA buddy aided have a less chance to turn into KIA.

Last edited:
Back