Market Garden news from BF.

Bootie

FGM OWNER
Staff member
Reaction score
Now that Gustav Line is out it's time to start the process of informing you about Combat Mission: Market Garden. But it will take a little while before we start putting out screenshots and other bits.

Portraying the battles of Market Garden posed unique challenges to us on the development end. Specifically that Market Garden requires British and Waffen SS units, which are part of the Commonwealth module. And yet our philosophy is to never require players to purchase Module A to play Module B. Likewise, our philosophy is to not duplicate content in Modules because we don't want to double charge those who want both.

Interesting dilema we got ourselves into, eh?
smile.gif

Instead of canceling Market Garden (CM:MG), which we did contemplate, we decided to pack Market Garden so full of new stuff that people will find value in it and minimize the overlap with Commonwealth that people won't feel like they are buying stuff they might already have. So here's an overview of what's being included:

1. Basic Waffen SS and British units which represent those units that fought directly in the Market Garden battles. Which means the majority of units found in Commonwealth are not present in CM:MG.

2. New German Heer, Waffen SS, and Luftwaffe units have been added which aren't present in Commonwealth. These better portray the scratch formations which made up the bulk of the early German resistance to the landings. Training, security, school, admin personnel, etc. are available.

3. We've added German Navy units. These poor saps were base and ex-ship personnel thrown into battle without much consideration about their fighting capabilities (which were next to none). In fact, this is the first time we've ever had Navy ground units in a CM game. Though to be honest, it's mostly for flavor as organizationally they weren't that much different from horribly stripped down and under equipped Heer units. Still, it's better to give you explicitly tweaked units than to say "imagine those Heer guys are Navy".

4. AAA units are present for the first time on the Western Front. Not only the sorts of AAA stuff found in Gustav Line, but some new fun things like Wirbelwind and Crusader AA.

5. The Germans also now have access to Panzer Brigades. These armor heavy units are uniquely organized and contain the ever fun SPW 251/21 in large numbers.

6. Fallschirmjäger are now present, all the way from June through September.

7. Some new vehicle variants for all forces just to keep things interesting.

8. New terrain features to create the feeling you're battling in The Netherlands and not France. Yes, we have even included a windmill
biggrin.gif

9. Bridges. Lots of 'em
biggrin.gif
We are including 5 custom made historically accurate bridges, a canal bridge, and 3 new generic long bridges. Some, like the Arnhem road bridge, are massive. For the larger ones we include "stubs" which map makers can use to simulate fights around the entrance to a bridge without having the other 500+ meters stuck in there.

And before the questions start flying about what new game features are to be added... a reminder that as a rule Modules do not add new game elements unless they are directly necessary for that particular Module. Besides the new bridges and some other terrain related stuff, we don't see the need for new features and therefore there won't be many directly related to Market Garden. However, anything new that was added for Gustav Line will be automatically carried over to the entire Normandy Family of games. Such as new shaders, "movie" lighting, bug fixes, gameplay tweaks, AAA support, etc. No worries there.

There's no doubt more stuff than that, but I think that's enough for now to get things started.

Steve

thanks for the info bootie. Can't wait to see what it looks like

This is great stuff. Really looking forward to it.

A bit horrified they were contemplating cancelling it.

of course not, we all know we are going to focus on other types of units. Still, those Navy units could very well be presented as "osttruppen" if we make cmbn-like scenarios

it will be fun to see how bf will simulate human waves and hand to hand fighting

The primary reason I will buy it - besides it is a CM title from Battlefront - is for the Fallschirmjäger. Yes, we got them in Gustav Line and they will not drag that much new equipment into the CMBN family. However, they were such a big part of Normandy and they are the biggest hole in the Battle for Normandy.

I've always liked Operation Market Garden. It's a more 'balanced' operation due to allied mistakes made around that time unlike Normandy where for the Germans it was putting off the inevitable.

As for Ost Front, definitely keen but want to see how the engine copes with much larger forces on the table. Especially those poor Soviet Infantry.

If I wanted to get on the CMx2 wagon, would it be enough to only buy the Market Garden game or would I be forced to buy them all?

Bert Blitzkrieg : Dude, get the games, its worth it. I hate the DLC stuff they are conducting at BF but gosh...it's the greatest thing since Chess and CMx1* ...

And come on, Market Garden, I cannot wait to duke it out in Grossbeek*sp* Heights!

Like mTk said, you'll have to buy CMBN, and possibly the 2.0 upgrade, if you want Market Garden. I don't know if MG will come with 2.0 or not. You don't have to buy the Commonwealth module if you dont want it, since MG will be its own standalone module.

Like mTk said, you'll have to buy CMBN, and possibly the 2.0 upgrade, if you want Market Garden. I don't know if MG will come with 2.0 or not. You don't have to buy the Commonwealth module if you dont want it, since MG will be its own standalone module.

Saying that the CW module is brilliant in my opinion and really fleshes out the North West France theater. The ability to control British troops in Sept 1944 but not in June - August will also feel like a bit of a hole in the game I think.

As for the upgrade I hope it comes standard with the MG module otherwise it gets really confusing for the non-grog CM consumer.

I'm in ... but I am just about ready to take CMx2 to the Ostfront!! ... we don't really need more West Front expansions ... roll on the T-34's!!! :cool:

Im totally agree, looking forward to it.

I'm in ... but I am just about ready to take CMx2 to the Ostfront!! ... we don't really need more West Front expansions ... roll on the T-34's!!! :cool:

If the Eastfront will be handled the same way BF dit the west you have to hope they start with a module which contains an area and era where T34's were used....

Back
Top Bottom