Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Masterpieces

Concord

FGM Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Hey @mTk, since you are exploring FPS games, I thought I'd mention two I enjoyed - Bioshock Infinite and Dishonored 2. They are superb.

Both of them have amazing stories, and awesome graphics.
The setting of both games seems based roughly on the early 1900's in architecture and style.
I really enjoyed the nostalgic settings, even though both are very original worlds.

The original Bioshock and Bioshock 2 are on my Steam wishlist.
So is the first Dishonored, although I played it years ago on Xbox360.

Bioshock Infinite

Dishonored 2

P.S. Dishonored has an interesting feature, where the game's ending changes depending on how much carnage you engage in.
When I played them, I went for 'low chaos' to get a happy ending. I enjoy the stealth aspects of games anyway.
However, although there are many ways to disable opponents without ending their life, it meant that most of my lethal gadgets went unused.
I'm considering playing these games again in total carnage mode to make use of the full arsenal, happy-ending-be-damned. :)

Last edited:
The original Deus Ex. :) Still way up their at the top of my most loved games list.

g7Nl1sK.jpg

Another game I enjoyed from the same era was Thief.
It had its flaws, but was a great stealth game for its time.

You could use a blackjack to knock out guards from behind.
I'd then pick them up and carry them to a room out of view from other patrolling guards.
There'd be rooms along my mission piled high with unconscious guards!
Sometimes they would glitch, and twitch and bounce around.

The thief (Garrett) also had a bow with many attachments. One of them was a rope.
Vivid memories of being in a dimly lit manor hall, hanging from a rope attached to the ceiling, while guards patroled below.

To rub it in a bit more, stumbled across this article. Sums up why Deus Ex was so great for it's day and is still looked up to as a benchmark by many.

Sometimes the moral choices are fun in games, but sometimes they are a pain.

My Fallout 4 game has stalled, once I realized that I couldn't save everyone and would be forced to fight and destroy some of my faction npc 'friends'.
I read that there IS a complex way to help all but one faction, but unfortunately my quest paths are too far along - I've passed the point of no return.
Spoiler alert.
It involves blowing the Institute sky-high...presumably with all the people (including kids) still in it. Hmmm. Not sure I'm up for that, even if it's just a game.
Maybe they give you the option to evacuate them before that happens, I don't know. I should read up about it so I can continue playing.
Strange how in one game I'm fine with stealing everything and brutally killing dozens of foes, while in another I'm repelled by the carnage. Funny how the mind works. It's all just digital pixels on a screen.

One other masterpiece game comes to mind. In Skyrim, I recall having friendly chats with my benefactor...and then sneaking into his bedroom to loot all their valuables heh heh.

Sometimes the moral choices are fun in games, but sometimes they are a pain.

My Fallout 4 game has stalled, once I realized that I couldn't save everyone and would be forced to fight and destroy some of my faction npc 'friends'.
I read that there IS a complex way to help all but one faction, but unfortunately my quest paths are too far along - I've passed the point of no return.
Spoiler alert.
It involves blowing the Institute sky-high...presumably with all the people (including kids) still in it. Hmmm. Not sure I'm up for that, even if it's just a game.
Maybe they give you the option to evacuate them before that happens, I don't know. I should read up about it so I can continue playing.
Strange how in one game I'm fine with stealing everything and brutally killing dozens of foes, while in another I'm repelled by the carnage. Funny how the mind works. It's all just digital pixels on a screen.
Yeah I hit that as well back in Skyrim needing to kill one of two parties and the reason really made no narrative sense in either case. There's actually a mod that allows you to skip that controversial decision. :)

I find no matter how hard I try I always go down the 'good' path in games. I just naturally fall that way and cringe even when I force myself to make a 'naughty' decision. Fallout, Dragon Age, Mass Effect doesn't matter. :p I have a mate who is the nicest family bloke you could meet, wouldn't hurt a fly, but in games he's the opposite as he can't stay 'good' in the games and is always attracted to being the evil renegade if it's an option.

Haha! Isn't that fascinating!!
In an open world situation, if I follow a consistently evil path, I start feeling depressed. :sick:
When my sons started to get into open world games I always only allowed them to on the condition that they don't behave in an evil manner. Just for healthy psychology.
It may only be a game, but if you spend your time running people down or killing innocents, I think it can take its toll.

Even looking at games like Combat Mission. You can treat it like a chess game, or an historical simulation.
But each bullet or shell burst that kills or wounds a pixel soldier, represents actual people who were there.
They were individuals like us, and somebody's son, brother, father. Sheesh.

Even looking at games like Combat Mission. You can treat it like a chess game, or an historical simulation.
But each bullet or shell burst that kills or wounds a pixel soldier, represents actual people who were there.
They were individuals like us, and somebody's son, brother, father. Sheesh.

Jesus, that means I'm a monster :confused:

Kill count: 6148 :p

Ha! I keep track of this for all my ladder games that are completed and logged! Exactly 4212 Nemesis soldiers were KIA/WIA/MIA in all my FGM games.

But I can't remember the name of even a single one of them. I am truly the worst kind of monster :):shootero:

Back