Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Memoirs of General U.S. Grant - Complete

Just downloaded it to my Kindle so no review yet. Just wanted to get the topic up.
This is kind of a big step for me. The last major book I read about the ACW was "From Manassas to Appomattox: Memoirs of the Civil War in America" by James Longstreet.
I am an unabashed fanboy of the Army of Northern Virginia and Longstreet in particular. My very first war game was AH's original "Gettysburg" in which I refused to play the Union. :p
So, to pick up a 934 page book written by Grant is a little out of character. I admit it was fueled by the recent Grant TV series. It seems time that I could/should set aside my ANV prejudice
as it is likely Grant has some very interesting things to say about the ACW that I may not have previously considered. Frankly, I'm just feeling a little guilty about never having gotten around
to reading this before now. If Grant could write this huge book while suffering and in great pain from cancer, then maybe I can take the time to read what he had to say.
The book made approx a half million dollars for his then destitute family. Now it's $500,003.

Last edited:
Enjoy!
It's a good read and the backstory on his writing it makes it even more compelling.
I have pretty much read thru most ACW memoirs back and if you ever get tired of the 'pretty purple prose ' as a friend of mine used to say i recomend Jubal Early's memoir

Reactions: mTk
Just downloaded it to my Kindle so no review yet. Just wanted to get the topic up.
This is kind of a big step for me. The last major book I read about the ACW was "From Manassas to Appomattox: Memoirs of the Civil War in America" by James Longstreet.
I am an unabashed fanboy of the Army of Northern Virginia and Longstreet in particular. My very first war game was AH's original "Gettysburg" in which I refused to play the Union. :p
So, to pick up a 934 page book written by Grant is a little out of character. I admit it was fueled by the recent Grant TV series. It seems time that I could/should set aside my ANV prejudice
as it is likely Grant has some very interesting things to say about the ACW that I may not have previously considered. Frankly, I'm just feeling a little guilty about never having gotten around
to reading this before now. If Grant could write this huge book while suffering and in great pain from cancer, then maybe I can take the time to read what he had to say.
The book made approx a half million dollars for his then destitute family. Now it's $500,003.

Wow, what a coincidence, I just picked a copy of this at an estate sale for a buck or two just last Saturday, as well as "Stonewall" and "B.G.T. Beauregard: Napolean in Gray". The thing about Grant's book is that he was dying of cancer when he was writing it and through sheer force of will managed to complete it a day or two before he died.

Yes, I agree. I read a Grant biography last year and at that time I decided I’d like to read his memoirs. A very interesting man.

Well, I gave it a try. And I may work at it some more. However, 1885 English may be too much for me.
There is no flow to the reading as I have to stop every sentence or two and reread it to try to figure out what he is saying.
At first I thought some of the wording was Grant just being humorous. In a short while I realized I was wrong. It was just
regular wording use of the day. For example: "Soon after I became 16 years antique.." WTF? The the same wording appears
a short time later and I then understand he is just saying "Soon after I became 16 years old..." This happens constantly and became
very distracting, not to mention making it a very slow read. I got through his early life up to his West Point graduation and then
picked up another Marcus Didius Falco novel to relieve the pain.
Some of the problem was repetition I suppose. I just got finished watching Grant on TV so there was little in his early life to entertain me.
I'm hoping if I flip some pages and get to the war my interest level will increase enough for me to plow on through. Maybe not.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I was just thinking how straight to the point the book is. I am now on the account of the Battle of Shiloh. Fascinating reading, getting me all fired up to finally dive into GT: ACW and Ultimate CWG.

I am about 45% of the way through, have just read through how Grant maneuvered and fought several smaller battles on the way to invest Vicksburg. He's not at Vicksburg quite yet, but this is fascinating reading. Very succinct accounts of the campaign. I am reading the Penguin Classics Books version, but I don't think they changed much of the original. Anyway, this is great stuff if you have an interest in the ACW.

Finished this book recently. Grant explains his experience, in clear, concise prose. Very informative, especially his assessment of both Union and Confederate generals. A very good history of the North's most successful campaigner.

Back