Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Military News From Around the World - 2021-09-20

Bones26

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Sorry, in catching up on my backlog of reading, I came across the following story which I apparently missed in my daily news summaries. In any case, the cynics amongst us, might find the 'timing and circumstances' of this event somewhat fortuitous for any interested party if, for instance, they were looking to extend one's influence on that countries bauxite reserves ( of which Guinea is a major exporter of and the use of which is instrumental in the production of aluminum) and potentially create 'difficulties' let's say foe a certain other geo-political rival who possibly might also have a particular national economic interest in securing its reliable supply. Or not,....:unsure:

From the N.Y. Times

U.S. Forces Were Training the Guinean Soldiers Who Took Off to Stage a Coup

American military officials have denounced the ouster of a president in West Africa, and said they had no warning of what their students were planning.

By Declan Walsh and Eric Schmitt

Published Sept. 10, 2021Updated Sept. 16, 2021

NAIROBI, Kenya — American Green Berets were training local forces in the West African nation of Guinea last weekend when their charges peeled away for a mission not listed in any military training manual: They mounted a coup.

And then I remembered coming across this article put out by Merco Press (South Atlantic News Agency) a while back and having nothing else to do, I began to wonder, gee could this have something to do with that…or not...;)

China enters auto manufacturing industry in Brazil, acquiring Mercedes-Benz plant​

Wednesday, July 7th 2021 - 08:37 UTC

The Chinese auto industry is penetrating Brazil. Automaker Great Wall Motors (GWM) reported that it has purchased the Mercedes-Benz car factory in Iracemápolis, Sao Paulo state, according to a report in the financial sector from the newspaper “O Globo” last Sunday.

According to “O Globo”, the Chinese’s arrival in the country is in alignment with the automaker’s internationalization plan; in the last two years, the company has also started production in Russia and Thailand and is about to do the same in India.

O'Globo's report comments that the GWM expansion can also be seen as another movement in the ongoing changing of the guard in the world economy with the shift of the US-Europe axis towards Asia, pushed mainly by the rise of China.

GWM's strategy is to buy manufacturing units in the countries of interest. In Brazil, the company acquired the Mercedes-Benz plant; in Thailand, a General Motors (GM) plan; and in India, the business is expected to enter the country through the acquisition of another GM plant.

Any takers that Africa and its mineral resources will be the next proxy battleground in the years to come.

Cheers!

Back