Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[Movie] Peterloo

Josey Wales

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
A made for TV film which is a pretty faithful retelling of the Peterloo Massacre which happened in Manchester (UK) in 1819. Having seen the French overthrow their rulers, English reformists are pressing for Parliamentary change to allow better representation for the people. Those in power are afraid of what happened in France coming across the channel and have no tolerance for the people and their perceived rights.

I liked this for several reasons. Mainly it felt authentic, the massacre was one of the first events in England to have national press coverage and there is a wealth of resources that were used to accurately portray the events. I really liked the cast, some great actors which I recognise from other high quality dramas. This was a pivotal event in the evolution of Parliamentary democracy in the UK which in part led to the Reform Act of 1832. Prior to this act, only about 10% of British adult males were allowed to vote. The British Empire is historically regarded as a bullying and oppressive regime. This film shows that the English people were just as downtrodden, oppressed and impoverished by those who held the power.

Last edited:
1616405728776.png1616405789066.pngI studied that at school and know the place. The site now and the commemorative plaque.
I'll certainly check the film out.

I confess, I was a little disappointed by the film. I'm a fan of Leigh's work, but he usually does contemporary settings not historical, and I thought it was rather overlong and stodgy, plus there is nothing about the aftermath, as it was an event with huge social consequences. I thought Suffragette was a more engaging film about social campaigns in Britain.

Back