My CMBN playing days are numbered

H

Herr Klopek

The company that I work for is changing our laptops. Currently I have a HP elitebook 8530p which is being replaced by an hp probook6460b. I took the probook home last night to install cmbn super excited that I'm getting a faster processor only to find that the game does not play well at all on the laptop. It is slow as a dog (slower than a very old, sick lame dog), it crashes and freezes and it impossible to play. I started a thread at the tech support in Battlefront and also submitted an official tech support email. I'm sending this thread out here in the hopes that someone might be able to help. I already updated my drivers. My anti virus program is ESET NOD32 antivirus 5, which I shut off and disable when I play. Here are the specs of both the new and old machines:

HP ProBook 6460b

Intel
Model Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz
Intel Processor analysis tools not detected
CPU Speed 2.3 GHz
Link to Processor Specification Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz

GRAPHICS INFORMATION
Graphics Product [1] Intel® Processor Graphics 3000
Graphics Driver Version not detected
3D Acceleration Yes
Hardware Transform & Lighting Support Yes
Video Memory 1.7 GB
Vertex Shader Support 4.1
Pixel Shader Support 4.1
Microsoft DirectX* Version 11.0

Specs of the old machine are:

HP elitebook 8530p

ATI mobility radeon HD 3650
Intel centrino 2

Needless to say I'm very disappointed with this and I hope someone can come up with a solution.

Thanks

I can only report what my experience has been and that is a inbuilt intel graphics card is crap. I've always bought cheap computers and then upgraded and tweaked to perform what I wanted them for.

And in each case an onboard intel had to be upgraded to nvida or Ati to perform the task. Unless someone else knows of a solution, you may be screwed,unless you can change graphics card,and I'm totally ignorant on laptops as to if it can even be done.

Grrrrrrrrrrr........

Thanks RT for your input. This is a company computer so I'm not going to change cards. In the past I was able to not purchase a home computer and just use the laptop that my company supplied for all my gaming. It seems that I might have to bite the bullet and final get that desktop.

I'm still hopeful that someone will come up with a work around solution for me to tide me over until I purchase my own machine

Indeed integrated grpahics chipsets SUCK. Always have, always will, even on desktop PCs. usually you don'T have the option to upgrade a notebook unless it is meant for being upgraded, but a graphics chipset usually isn't as far as my knowledge goes. So it might indeed have numbered your CMx2 days for the time being - but there always is the good ol' CMx1...

Just to stick my oar in, how much RAM does this machine have? I can see on the stats posted under Graphics there is 1.7gb "Video Memory" but no sign of how much main RAM you have.

My previous employer gave all of our team the same machines but mine ran like a 3 legged dog. When I checked, my main RAM was half of what it should have been.

To Earl of Grey

LOL, I was thinking of that, LOL

To Underfire

4GB of ram Is that enough? I have no clue.

My machine has 4gb of RAM and runs CM smoothly without a problem.

RAM doesn't matter all that much if the graphics chipset isn't meant for playing. And the new CM can be pretty tough on the system resources.

The real problem with this notebook is that the CPU is reponsible for the graphics and it has NO dedicated graphics chipset AT ALL (just checked). The graphics RAM isn't a dedicated one either, it's just taken from the standard RAM. All in all a machine that's meant for office applications and nothing more. You won't get very far with this one...

I feel your pain. I have a lovely desktop with a great graphics card at home. It's great, but I travel a lot. As a result, I play CMBN and CMSF on my work laptop (an older Centrino with an integrated graphics card and 256 MB of video memory). I have to scale back the graphics and texture quality to get it to perform even close to reasonably well. However, it's the price to pay if I want to play when I'm on the road.

Bob

The point is that he would have a gaming laptop if he could afford one - or it was practical to gave two at hand - is my guess. So unless you can buy him one I'm afraid that won't change anything.

If someone wants to send me a nice "gamers laptop" email me and I'll give you my mailing address. LOL

For the last 10 or so years I have laptops given to me to use from the company I work for and so far they have fulfilled my needs....except for now. Here is an update that I posted over at the Blitz but forgot to copy it here:

Update to my predicament:

I received a very prompt and informative reply/solution for my problem from Battlefront. It seems that I have a "discrete" video card or in laymans terms, my laptop contains both a crappy and good video card. A crappy one for applications that don't need a 3-D card to save batteries and a better one to play games on. The trouble is that CMBN does not play on "Open GL application" apparrantly there is a knowledge base article on that. However, I should be able to install drivers and programs to my laptop that will fix the better video card and then CMBN should work like a charm (I hope)

I won't know if this will work until next week. I'll share my results then.

So it seems that my laptop does have a better video card that should let me play CMBN. I talked to my IT guys at work and they will help me out. We have to install a program that will change the BIOS of the machine so that it will always use the better card.

Wish me luck. I'll report back next week.

Interesting - the article I read about your laptop didn't mention that. Maybe you got a different model after all... would be nice to have your problems solved so easily though!

Reporting back as promised. My IT guys checked out the laptop and I do not have the discrete video card, only the crappy one so I am SOL :(:(:(:(

Oh well, I did the most reasonable thing and told them not to switch laptops with me yet and to put me at the bottom of the list, this way I can still keep on playing and give me time to purchase that nice desktop I was holding back on.

Now to read up on how to uninstall the game for licensing purposes.

Thank you to all who replied.

Regards

Frank

Back
Top Bottom