New VAAR: Darkest Before the Dawn

C

Cue-Ball

This is a VAAR that I made of a game between myself and a friend. It's an armor-only matchup that takes place in June of '44. I used a computer suggested force mix (clicked a few times, but used it as suggested) of 2 tank platoons. I've got four 76mm Shermans and five 75mm Shermans (some with no radios), along with one halftrack carrying an HQ squad, and one Jeep. The Germans also have a computer picked force, but I think they're all set to veteran or crack. The extent of the German forces will be revealed throughout the AAR, just as it was to me.

The entire video lasts just over 30 minutes. This is part 1 of 3. My Internet connection is quite slow, so the other parts will be uploaded over the next couple of days.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtC14hNjrBc

Glad you guys are enjoying it. You'll see who wins if you watch all three parts. Parts 1 and 2 are both available now. Part 3 should be available in an hour or three, once YouTube finishes processing it. You're definitely going to want to watch the WHOLE thing, because you won't believe how it ends. :)

Great stuff, thanks for sharing, looks like the Germans fare better in a longish range gun battle? At what range are you engaging them?

Great stuff, thanks for sharing, looks like the Germans fare better in a longish range gun battle? At what range are you engaging them?
The range was pretty long. I think it was around 1400 meters or so when the tanks first start engaging each other (around the third minute of the video). As the Germans move up to the front of the hill on my left, and as my Shermans move up to the woods on the hill nearest me the distance drops considerably. Closer to 800 meters, I think. I'll have to go back and reload a few turns to know for sure.

Edit: I went back and checked. The distance between Berger and the Stug he was exchanging with was about 1400 meters or so, like I thought. Berger had a distinct elevation advantage (but still had a hard time getting penetrations, even with a 76mm). The distance between 2 Plt. and the Stugs that killed them was 800-1000m, with the Stugs having the elevation advantage. The distance between the three Stugs on the hill and my three Shermans in the woods was just over 400 meters. Then the Germans moved up and I moved to the front edge of the woods, closing the distance. When Madden got killed, the distance between him and the Panther and Stug that killed him was just over 300m.

Is the third installment ready for viewing?
The third installment is up, but there was an error in the editing which caused about one minute of footage to loop. I've fixed it and am uploading the fixed version now. It'll take an hour or two to finish uploading and processing, then it will be viewable. I'll come back and post links to all three parts in this thread once it's done.

Back
Top Bottom