Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Newbie wargamer reporting in

V

Varyag

Well hello there, wargamers. I am pretty new to this whole hobby. Always had a fascination for military vehicles, particularly fighter jets, that spread out into a more generalized interest in other branches, such as military history and strategy/tactics. I've never really found myself fully interested or enjoying the more "regular" real time strategy games, or finding myself displeased at the levels of realism in shooter games and whatnot. So I started digging deeper for more and more simulative titles, in many areas. From Call of Duty to Insurgency to ARMA. From Need for Speed to Forza to Assetto Corsa (why yes I am also a simracer), from War Thunder and World of Warships to... nowhere else, really, these are terrible games for your health. And in the strategy games, from Company of Heroes to Men of War, to... this whole new genre.

Now, being new to this, I've done my research, looked into many titles, and picked up a few to see how deep I really want to go. I have grabbed Combat Mission Shock Force 2 on Steam, promptly got plastered on my first tutorial mission. I also got Graviteam Tactics (both Mius Front and Tunisia '43), Armored Brigade and for the hex-based side of things, I decided to stick with the proven old classic and got Panzer Corps Gold. All of these games are still pretty hard to me, as I'm still adapting from thinking in *game logic* to thinking in real tactics, which I only knew an approximation of until now. But I guess, it's never too late to start, right?

My main interests are in 20th century warfare, from WW2 to Cold War to modern warfare settings, although my favorite period is certainly the 80's CW scenarios. Other than the games I've already mentioned, I also enjoy Gates of Hell: Ostfront and Nebulous: Fleet Command. I'm a pretty eccletic gamer, and I am also an enjoyer of the fine japanese arts of anthropomorphized warships. For now though, I am mostly taking it slowly with the wargames on my own. Don't really know how PBEM even works, but would be willing to learn in the future, after I'm more comfortable with the games themselves. I'm always open to tips or guides!

Big welcome to the Club @Varyag The Few Good Men are welcoming you!.... You will find a lot of interesting people here
Please check out the links which are there to help you

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forums/site-manual.25/
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forums/combat-mission-x2-world-war-two.160/

If you have any questions or need some help with the site, please feel free to contact our official welcome committee member Hedgehog and Shorker. he will be happy to assist you. Just click on the names in the members list or underneath the avatar picture and then on "Start A Conversation" or reply

Well hello there, wargamers. I am pretty new to this whole hobby. Always had a fascination for military vehicles, particularly fighter jets, that spread out into a more generalized interest in other branches, such as military history and strategy/tactics. I've never really found myself fully interested or enjoying the more "regular" real time strategy games, or finding myself displeased at the levels of realism in shooter games and whatnot. So I started digging deeper for more and more simulative titles, in many areas. From Call of Duty to Insurgency to ARMA. From Need for Speed to Forza to Assetto Corsa (why yes I am also a simracer), from War Thunder and World of Warships to... nowhere else, really, these are terrible games for your health. And in the strategy games, from Company of Heroes to Men of War, to... this whole new genre.

Now, being new to this, I've done my research, looked into many titles, and picked up a few to see how deep I really want to go. I have grabbed Combat Mission Shock Force 2 on Steam, promptly got plastered on my first tutorial mission. I also got Graviteam Tactics (both Mius Front and Tunisia '43), Armored Brigade and for the hex-based side of things, I decided to stick with the proven old classic and got Panzer Corps Gold. All of these games are still pretty hard to me, as I'm still adapting from thinking in *game logic* to thinking in real tactics, which I only knew an approximation of until now. But I guess, it's never too late to start, right?

My main interests are in 20th century warfare, from WW2 to Cold War to modern warfare settings, although my favorite period is certainly the 80's CW scenarios. Other than the games I've already mentioned, I also enjoy Gates of Hell: Ostfront and Nebulous: Fleet Command. I'm a pretty eccletic gamer, and I am also an enjoyer of the fine japanese arts of anthropomorphized warships. For now though, I am mostly taking it slowly with the wargames on my own. Don't really know how PBEM even works, but would be willing to learn in the future, after I'm more comfortable with the games themselves. I'm always open to tips or guides!
as for tips in combat mission check out YouTube there is a channel on there that has lots videos explaining the basics and a lot of videos he as made out of his games.. the channel name is usually hapless here is a link to a playlist of his basics vids.....https://youtu.be/XDaKrXvEKkI ....

as for tips in combat mission check out YouTube there is a channel on there that has lots videos explaining the basics and a lot of videos he as made out of his games.. the channel name is usually hapless here is a link to a playlist of his basics vids.....https://youtu.be/XDaKrXvEKkI ....
Arm Chair generals also has a great series of instructional videos for our WWII titles!

1620612498307.png

Welcome to the club! Please enjoy a doughnut and some coffee while you look about.

Back