Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Operation Konrad - History Discussion video

I found it quite fascinating, especially the later phases where multiple advances or retreats were going on in both directions with very substantial armoured forces, ie 4th Guards v 3rd SS & 5th SS, must have been very confusing fighting and all round defence kind of stuff with two sledgehammers colliding. Interesting that the German commanders on the ground defied orders, to try and trap powerful elements of the soviets rather than push on to Budapest, and one German formation was within 17km of the city before given alternate march orders!
Fantastic unseen photos and some rare footage within that video too. :cool:

Thanks for posting, @Guardsman . I have the 3 volumes of Douglas Nash's IV SS Panzer Korps history from Poland to end of war, and it is good to hear him talk through the Op Konrad period in his own words. I used his account extensively when building the campaign, and I think these books also served as the basis for the CMRT "Broken Shields" and "Breakthrough to Kovel" campaigns.
This video and books highlight that the Germans were really weak in both experience and quantity of infantry and so while the panzers could make deep penetrations, there was never enough infantry to mop up Soviet stragglers and secure the rear areas. In Konrad III, the 60km German right flank had to be held by a reconnaissance battalion! Second, the German leadership chain was not aligned and not realistic about the operational outcomes, with conflicting orders (and beliefs) about whether the point was to rescue the Budapest garrison, re-establish the defensive line, or encircle/destroy Soviet armies.
The Konrad III battles east/southeast of Lake Velence certainly were a crazy affair - and all in areas with relatively little cover, mostly small towns and fields. Wait until you see the maps ;).

The image at 55:07 is very close to Tokod and Dorog, where @Brille has been fighting.
The image at 58:43 is in the area of Tolna/Tarjan, where @Drifter Man has been fighting. Note the Germans brought half-tracks and infantry :). Note also that the Germans had more than 30 minutes to advance down this road. :D

Back