Pantherstellung - Italy, 1944

R

razorboy

The turret is from Tamiya's 1/35 PzKpfw.V Ausf.A (1970's Release "Original" Version) and was modified accordingly to represent an "Ausf. D turm" that had been upgraded with an Ausf. A cupola. In other words, I converted it to a type D turret but retained the type A cupola. The crewmen are a composition of Alpine, Tamiya and Italeri figures. The commander figure with the binoculars was built without modification, the other two were modified to one degree or another.
In this scene the crew has emerged from the rear loaders hatch and upon discovering the damage created to the AA ring mount, realize why the commander's hatch will not open. The crewman with the hammer is joined by the crewman with the hacksaw, concrete debris from the "Near Miss" still litters the turret top plate, the force of the blast having twisted and breaking the AA ring. Below is the photograph that inspired this build....
Pantherstellung.jpg

fda92982.jpg

0fdaa20a.jpg

300b8e0d.jpg

18d65bff.jpg

00c8d16a.jpg

6f6d4ec1.jpg

razorboy

Excellent work, I have never seen a german tank dug in like that. Is the rest of the tank dug in and buried or is it just a turret mounted on some sort of mount in the picture of the real thing?

They used both methods Jonny, mine is the type built on a concrete bunker thus the damaged concrete and re-bar in the shell crater.
Here are some good pics and a short article I found during research:
pt1.jpg

pt.jpg

PTR.jpg

PTRa.jpg

rb

Excellent, thanks very much rb

I may have to try and incorporate one of these into a scenario, not sure how i can get 400 75mm rounds into a panther tho lol

As much as I love and admire large and extensive dioramas with numerous vehicles and depicting a large amount of action, I actually prefer these smaller scenes or vignettes. A few figures, perhaps a small vehicle or a building. I love how the story is told with the small details, in this case the twisted rebar, the hammer, and the hacksaw. Sometimes some of the large dioramas I've seen can border on sensory overload.

As usual rb, excellent work.

Back
Top Bottom