Quad core DO work :)

Z

zaraza

You might not notice this in 90% of applications....but....i'm using PS and it's 64 bit version on quad core flies....It's loading in like 2 seconds and performs fantastic....

Last night, me and my girlfriend, which is Maya artist tried to render on my machine....
Her CPU: Intel Dual Core Exxxx
Mine: Amd Phenom X4 920

Same scene rendered on Intel Dual took about 20 minutes. On this AMD it takes only 5 mins.....
At this moment, 3 of my cores are rendering, and i still can play games and do whatever i want with my computer :):)

These are temperatures:

temps.jpg

Core1 Does not do anything, other 3 are 100% busy....

Considering cheap cooling i have, this is very very nice.

@Bootie
That means that you do not have to buy quad core if you dont want to render 3d scener with Mental Ray :)
Also, this means that when games became capable using this we will have huge graphics and over performance improve :)

This is nothing about my knoledge....actually i'm a hardware retard....i am a software guy....i know how to program stuff....
I posted this because it was most obvious example how quadcore processors behave in real life....

Point is that not all of apps are using multithreading, and when you are using them there is no benefit.

How do you cool your CPUs? Those temperatures look a bit too high to me... Mine are running with about 50° when under load.

Like i said, i have one cooler that i got with CPU, and one other which i got for...about 5e...
I'm planing to get better cooling...

I recommend water cooling - those multicore CPUs can get hot pretty quick and burn through even quicker, especially when working with full capacity. A quadcore I'd NEVER run with just air cooling. How's the rest of your case? How many coolers? How big are the coolers? Which other components have you in your case? What type of graphics card? How's the airflow through your system regulated?

Main power consumers are that CPU and Gainward Nvidia GTS 250....
Cheap housing, cheap cooling....

And...i wouldnt go to the water cooling....i think i can get nice temperatures with air....

I suggest you invest in an good case and really good cooling - I knwow hat I'm talking about. I had a lot of components fry in the last years because I didn't cool my stuff properly and the airflow wasn't sufficient.
Besides that these graphics card tend to get VERY hot when under load, too, so if you don't get the warm air out of teh case ASAp, the graphcis card will noly suck in hot air in the end which doesn't help cooling at all. And yous hould check if the fan of your graphcis crad does regulate itself or not - most of the time, those fans only work at 50% capacity and you have to activate the manually.

I have quad core Q 6600 with video GTS 250. Temperature as Zaraza and PC's work very well!

Those cards tend to work well until they reach ~100° - then they'll shut down. But it's not the graphics card alone but also all other parts (especially the mainboard) that will suffer when the ambient temperature of your system is too high on average. Thumb rule is that ambient temperature shouldn't get than 60° (which already is pretty hot) because if it gets higher the components will start to suffer and eventually fail. (Ambient temperature in this case meaning air temperature inside the case.)

Please give me a link and I can tell you if it is a case you can use or not. Big is a good idea but it also needs a sufficient number of fans.

Can remember what model....
But i'll take a look and consult you :)

Back
Top Bottom