Research for New Scenario

Ithikial

FGM 2ND IN COMMAND
Staff member
Reaction score
Looking to the fellow history buffs in the community... I'm guessing most of you... for any information on Operation Windsor. Started pulling a few materials together while I awaited the delivery of my new computer and after reading a few sources I think I can commit myself to having a shot at recreating this operation in CMBN.

Fingers crossed my computer doesn't die and I forget again to transfer over my scenario folder that had my half completed "JOE's Bridge" scenario! I'll look to start that again when MG is released.

Anyway figured the best way to break up this operation is to split the Carpiquet Airfield in half. The main northern attack through the village as one scenario and the smaller southern attack as the other. From the materials I've been reading these engagements occurred with little if any interaction between the two Canadian forces due to the open field/airstrip separating them which was well covered by Flak 88's and German armour units to the south.

What I have:
- Force descriptions for both the Canadians and Germans
- Maps (including non-Google) and descriptions by a military historian regarding the terrain following a visit to the site. Sadly I don't live anywhere near France to query his opinions.
- Play by play how the battle unfolded.
- I've also drafted a briefing paper to give some framework and set the boundaries for the scenarios both geographically and time wise.

What I need:
- More maps... (can't have enough)
- Weather report
- German first person accounts of the defense
- Whatever you can think of
- Ideas on how to scale down the Northern Scenario. A three battalion attack with tank support and heavy amounts of arty would probably break peoples CPU's.

I have a rough idea how the scenario should play out and a few little tricks to ensure some form of German defense would remain following a murderous opening barrage. Though the Canadian player would have to remain 'historically faithful' in setting up preliminary bombardments.

Anyway please post any good links to sources regarding this engagement. Thanks in advance!

Bootie - One of these sources has some interesting allied aircraft buildup stats in June '44. That is if you are still interested for the Overlord Campaign. Let me know.

Back
Top Bottom