Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Return to Magna Graecia - Turn 4

I'm such an idiot. I could have had a reroll on my diplomacy this turn! DOH! It's hard to remember all this shit.

I'm such an idiot. I could have had a reroll on my diplomacy this turn! DOH! It's hard to remember all this shit.
Then there's two of us. I forgot too, but then just this afternoon was thinking what my otherwise useless Pyrrhus could be used for otherwise (especially his Harsh Administrator is highly impractical in Samnite lands). Along came your sneak attack... :)

Ok, 3rd Battle of Maleventum... the place will be trashed by the end of this.

Map die roll: 11 -- Med Agricultural

ROME Allies:
(Rome Army I General has a Greekling trait)

Bovianum - die roll: 5 + 1 = 6 --> +1 strength point
Capua - die roll: 9 + 1 + 2 + 12 --> +2 strength points

ROME Army II Total: 12 + 3 = 15

PYRRHUS Allies
(Pyrrhus -- Harsh Administrator Trait cancelled out by Greekling Trait)

Luceria - die roll: 7 --> +1 strength point
Asculum - die roll: 6 --> +1 strength point
Maleventum (Samnite) Die roll: 9 + 2 = 11 --> +2 strength point
Venusia (Samnite) Die roll: 9 + 2 = 11 --> +2 strength point

PYRRHUS Army I Total: 12 + 6 = 18

1701888448781.png

The Third Battle of Maleventum
  • Strength difference is 3 in Pyrrhic favour (18-15), why the Pyrrhic side will have 1600 FP and the Roman 1480 FP. (+40 FP difference for each strength difference.)
  • Allies were successfully called from Samnite cities for the Pyrrhic side, so it must use Samnite 355-272 BC allies.
  • Getting allies from Capua and Boviamum doesn't result in any army list for allies for the Romans (since the Romans don't have Samnites as allies in the TT Mod).
The game is therefore now set up with the TT Mod 1.5.32b as:

@kronenblatt Pyrrhus 280-275 BC with Samnite 355-272 BC allies (1600 FP)
versus
@chiquichops Roman 280-220 BC (1480 FP)

Mediterranean Agricultural terrain.

Password: MALEVENTUM

The Roman terrain from the perspective of the Eagle King himself. Whatever's left of Maleventum is one single villa, in the middle: what's now rough terrain is where the city originally stood, before the first and second battles.

1701895558632.png

Last edited:
Any news from the battlefield at Maleventum?
The Romans have mostly seen the back of the Greeks, especially their Tarantine Raw Pikes. Pyrrhus has revealed his cowardly character, but all the same necessitated by terrain and troops, despite +120 FP. Hopefully a draw. Four turns left for each side.

Last edited:
I can't get on the server for Ancients. Medieval ok, strange.
Can you guys check, please? Just to see if it's my problem or a general thing.

The Third Battle of Maleventum is now concluded, with a 26-26 draw.

@chiquichops : many thanks for the game. I just want to clarify that you wouldn't have won the battle just for breaking the skirmishers. In order to win a battle, you need to rout the enemy army as per FoG rules, i.e., reach a +25% casualty difference or inflict 60% casualties.

Well, that's not what I thought. I thought whoever holds the field wins.
Thanks for the battle too.

Well, that's not what I thought. I thought whoever holds the field wins.
Thanks for the battle too.
Ah, I see that this could cause some misunderstanding. Is that how battle outcomes are generally determined here, at FGM?

Because the rules say:

The army routing the enemy army in a battle is considered the victor of that battle, and the routed armyconsidered the loser of that battle. If neither army routs the enemy, the battle is a draw and neither player is considered victor or loser for that battle.

I fear we may be heading towards a bit of a stalemate?
Maybe, maybe not. This turn was much of a stalemate, but that was due to many failed Operations, prohibiting further actions. Next turn may and will hopefully be completely different.

Back