Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

If I may ask, were you able to participate?
Not my dear. I followed him on television at times. But as you have seen in the photos in the newspaper article, there were people out of place, there was no lack of excesses or confrontations with the police. It was expected to happen. Unfortunately our society is not as orderly as yours.:cautious:

@Louis,

Were that the case. I should note that our country is not immune to also enduring some occasional bouts of excessive sports exuberance as evidenced by these photos taken from a 2011 hockey riot in Vancouver after the home team was eliminated from the Stanley Cup finals. The resulting damage from this incident was estimated at just under $4 million.

Although... it does appear in the last photo also taken from that same riot that this lad at least still has his priorities in tact :giggle: (BTW, it turns out that the bloke in the photo was an Aussie... and given that, all that is missing is a couple of cans of Foster's Lager beside them for afterwards :ROFLMAO:)

OIP.9B0uC6BCL7YonG0d0h1m6wHaFj
OIP.PM-DtNPUbiVMA6bf6TRtWAHaE8
1671631346185.jpeg

r785311_6790482.jpg

In fact, our experience in these types of displays encompasses one notable incident in my own home province & city that goes back to 1955 in what has been dubbed The Richard Riot and which in some quarters has taken on a far greater significance than a mere sports riot in the decades since it happened.

The sight of French Quebecers rioting over the perceived slight to a Quebec cultural icon like Maurice "Rocket" Richard (At that time, our hometown hockey equivalent to your own Lionel Messi) who was suspended following an earlier on ice incident, which in turn caused him to be barred from participating in the Stanley Cup finals that year (and which his team subsequently lost) has led many commentators to believe it was a significant factor in Quebec's Quiet Revolution of the 1960s, and was the initial spark which eventually dramatically changed future Quebec relations within the Canadian Federation.

The cause of the riot it has been suggested was not a result of the severity of the suspension handed to Richard; but rather what mattered was that the anglophone president of an anglophone league had suspended a iconic Francophone Quebec player. French Canadians at the time saw themselves as inherently disadvantaged within Canada and North America as a whole.
(Sourced from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Riot)

Cheers !

Although... it does appear in the last photo also taken from that same riot that this lad at least still has his priorities in tact :giggle: (BTW, it turns out that the bloke in the photo was an Aussie... and given that, all that is missing is a couple of cans of Foster's Lager beside them for afterwards :ROFLMAO:)

r785311_6790482.jpg
No Australian drinks Fosters. Went out of style in the 80's and 90's as the market was flooded with international brands plus better products from local competitors. Today the craft beer scene is actually pretty big as well with small bespoke operations scattered around the country for tourists and online ordering. And with all that I'm a cider drinker. Never liked beer one bit. :p

Back