Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Snow for the Hungry - a DAR (Nektoman stay out)

Aurelius

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to my DAR of the Snow for the Hungry scenario. I am playing as the Germans (not my preference), Nektoman is playing as the Soviets. We already had fought some battles, and I can tell you that it is going to be tough and at times a desperate fight.

Now for the scenario itself. The task set before me is to clear the immediate area of the coastal highway and essentially help the efforts to de-blockade Konigsberg. Before me lay two settlements (Wardienen and Wardinen) as area of interest and some forested areas that may be occupied.

I command a depleted mechanized battalion, consisting of three companies with two platoons each, plus some machinegun platoons. Added to the mech battalion are three Tigers, two Panthers and two Stugs. I have no indirect support. I suspect the enemy outnumbers me by a margin of two to one.

The ground is covered in snow, visibility is poor (340 meters max).

Now for the plan. I couldn't get the map to show in one shot, so I made 3 different shots with a rough layout of my plan.

HV520K0.jpg

vKsdlHj.jpg

Only top quality DARs for you guys!

0leBa1u.jpg

Everything North of the blue line I consider as hostile and susceptible to fire. In my assessment of the terrain and tasks, I concluded that the area of Wardienen presents a major strongpoint, relying on Wardinen for flank protection and the forest marked with the red question mark for in depth defense and support by fire. As far as Waldburg is concerned, I suspect it is the area for basing the reserve. It is a nice layout for the defensive side, but there is a problem. The visibility is poor and thus different positions can't really help each other. This gives me an opportunity to defeat the enemy force in detail.

The idea of maneuver is to concentrate all my forces on Wardinen (Blue 1), clear it out and then proceed to Waldburg (Blue 2A), all the while a blocking detachment provides flank security for the forces attacking Waldburg (Blue 2B). Once Waldburg is dealt with, the idea is to attack Wardienen from the rear (Blue 3). The blocking detachment can also be used for the attack from the flank, but I suspect the battle may be concluded at that point.

I suspect that the enemy anti-tank guns (which I have no doubts will be there) will be laid out in a cordon, but even if they are in a Pak-front, movement from the flank will limit their usefulness and give me an opportunity to fight them one by one.

Now for the order of march.

Vvcv8jz.jpg

The column will be lead by three Tiger tanks, followed by the First Company, then the Second, then the Third. Two Panthers will provide flank security, while the two Stugs will bring up the rear of the formation.

Now for some images of the objectives and points of interest.

wh7C9mj.jpg

tXZRxoA.jpg

4NH1Ghj.jpg

Visibility from the lower camera level. I have no doubt that the CO from my Officer Candidate Course would say that it is the perfect weather for the attack!

CyLQFQQ.jpg

And the coastal highway in question.

uSzC9eO.jpg

Looking forward to it.
You may be aware that there is the option to toggle the camera to wide angle ("C" is the default key). This should let you get more of the map on screen.

Now for some CM: Traffic Cop.

The column starts moving.

e22ilW3.jpg

pWyr7YR.jpg

Panthers on their first position.

Jr8Tyfu.jpg

Meanwhile, Stugs reverse and wait for their turn to start moving. The column continues to develop.

fXRqsG0.jpg

Movement continues. Panthers in the background are relocating to their next position. Stugs start their movement, too.

r902Wwx.jpg

CSzteTW.jpg

During the whole movement, only one halftrack immobilized. It was the first company commander's vehicle. He grabbed the most valuable asset in it - panzerfaust 60, and joined his 2IC in his vehicle.

One of the Stugs also got bogged, making me shake my head in disbelief. Luckily, he managed to start moving again...

Last edited:
During the movement phase, 1st platoon of 1st Company was sent ahead of the rest of the force, towards Wardinen. When it settled, I started working on the buildings with MGs and 20mm halftrack.

b5EfdrG.jpg

cSKP2GN.jpg

As minutes passed 1st Company assembled at the outskirts of Wardinen. Their task is to clear it.

2nd platoon, 1st Company working.

AUiEh8E.jpg

The whole company + a Stug.

JLe6mqA.jpg

As this force needs something with a heavier punch, Stugs were sent to assist. Their limited battle load makes the useful in this situation, but overall I don't have high expectations of them.

1bFw6Oh.jpg

QhWCDEn.jpg

While 1st Company was busy, the rest of the force assembled. They are now ready for their next jump.

PB4m52O.jpg

Next post will deal with the plan of the assault on the Wardinen. Then, the DAR will be up to date.

Here is the plan.

5Gc0SbF.jpg

Blue 1 marks a halftrack with an HMG - it's task is to move into a blocking position and interdict any attempt to reinforce/retreat the positions at Wardinen.

Blue 2 marks the assault path of the first platoon. They will have the "honor" of fighting any survivors and witnessing mutilated remains of their enemies...

Blue 3 marks the path of second platoon. Their task is to flank the positions and block any attempt to reinforce/retreat. Furthermore, they will provide suppressing fire.

In general, the idea behind the assault is to isolate Wardinen, suppress it and mop up anything left.

Now for Wardinen itself. Building marked with A and B are barns. Not expecting much from them, but still, they pose a threat. Building A blocks the view and fire for 1st platoon. It will be destroyed - that's why it is marked with a an X. Behind building B is a shed - it is an interesting firing position, just good enough to place some submachine gunners so they could get a drop on my guys.

Building C and D are two storied brick buildings. Nothing remarkable about them, just some solid firing positions with OK cover. Suppress and clear.

Building A destroyed.

PLeT77z.jpg

The volume of outgoing fire increased.

nDrkyRZ.jpg

sbPwSdI.jpg

Birds eye view of progress. Sound contacts were noticed. Earlier, during the approach march, my column received sporadic, direct mortar fire from the general area of the town of Waldburg (the town at the back of the map). It led me to the conclusion that there is a force in Wardinen. Sound contacts confirmed it.

w4875uB.jpg

Meanwhile, the sentiment of the Soviet soldiers...

Is6RvCw.jpg

Wider view of my forces.

lWIhqeB.jpg

Overview of the general plan of action.

ymw17I8.jpg

Blue 1 marks the path of tanks and 2nd Company. They will move through the positions of 2nd platoon, 1st Company and move towards Waldburg. Thus, 2nd platoon, 1st Company will have two tasks - general fire support for the assault on Wardinen and flank security for the force moving towards Waldburg.

Blue 2 marks the position of the 3rd Company. It's task is to relieve 1st Company immediately after Wardinen is taken. 1st Company will then join the 2nd and tanks in the assault on Waldburg. 3rd will block Wardienen.

Now you might ask - why wasn't the 3rd attacking Wardinen, while everyone else moved. Answer is simple - 3rd has the least amount of men and supporting assets. It attack you need numerical and fire superiority - something the 3rd doesn't have.

Back