Some CMFI Infantry Combat

Ithikial

FGM 2ND IN COMMAND
Staff member
Reaction score
From the tail end of my first serious shot a Beyond the Belice scenario.

Nothing really special, just testing out video capture and learning the ropes of Movie Maker at the moment. Just thought I'd share.

Anyone got any tips for video capture and editing CM clips?

Nice video, can't help on this, am more in screenshots myself. Imho, using your HTs at the tip of your attack and parked in the open is a sure way to get these gunners killed ( or the vehicles if some AT weapons or heavy mortars around, except if by then you knew exactly what was in front of you). I would rather have them behind my infantry squads to act as heavy fire support.

They came up just before I started recording to take out annoying Tankettes. Far to much open ground to get any infantry with zooks into a firing position. Not ideal I admit but those .50 cals really get through Italian light armour in a few bursts.

Loved that little scen, was one of the first I played as the Italians. Those opened topped sahariana recon cars are too cool, fragile as eggs, but that 20mm AA has an awesome "WHOOMP, WHOOMP, WHOOMP". Bye, bye Amis HT's... ;-)

I was lucky to get the Halftracks into position before those recon cars came over the crest through the forest. My boys got off the first shot and I think I took out a gunner. Advancing Infantry did the rest later on.

Hey Ithikial, when you did the video, was the scenario set to real time or turn base?
And if, it was turn base how did you smooth out the video so nicely?

Hey Ithikial, when you did the video, was the scenario set to real time or turn base?
And if, it was turn base how did you smooth out the video so nicely?

Turn based. I'm using FRAPS and hit record as I also hit the big red button to process the turn. I stop recording once the turn ends. This creates a rather large .avi file. (multiple gb for a single minute). I then transfer the .avi files into Windows Movie Maker (Free for most users) and split the film into segments, deleting the excess on either side. Once you have the film saved into a .wmv format for upload to Youtube you can delete the large .avi files hogging up your hard drive. FRAPS does have the option to use a mic and record voice at the same time but I can't multi task with CM. :p

A couple of tips I've learnt already
- Don't use the Half Resolution option in Fraps. (Like the video above). To much quality is lost.
- Make sure Fraps is saving the recordings to a seperate Hard Drive (if possible) away from the game you are playing and your system files. I've noticed very little performance hit as a result.
- 25 FPS is usually enough to record at and puts less stress on your hardware.

My PC Specs:
- Windows 7 SP1
- i7 Quad Core Extreme at 2.7 ghz
- 6 GB of DDR3 RAM
- Nvidia GTX580 1.5 GB
- Raptor Hard Drive (512 GB) as primary (and where CM is installed)
- 1 TB SATA HD where recordings are saved to.

Anyone know any good programs to record voice over movies? What really 'inspired' me is something like Heir of Carthage's Youtube Channel with the Total War games. That's the end goal, (but for CMx2 games) if I have enough time.

I've tried something 'a little bigger' and will upload hopefully tonight. A full battle with commentry. It's a little long so I'll have to trim it down first and my commentry over the top is a little soft, a lesson learned for next time.

Back
Top Bottom