Soundbug in CMFI v1.01 after GL update

S

Strachwitz

Just for information.
Marseu and I have 2 CMFI PBEM games running. After we both installed GL we both experience a weird soundbug. No actual game sound, just something like a big bomberfleet flying overhead. No threads on this subject so far in the BF forums.
So maybe better be cautious upgrading to GL (v1.10) before finishing older PBEMs as I think 2 different installs (CMFI v1.01 and CMFI/GL v1.10) are not possible.

I just found the hint in the official readme. Wish I have read that before the upgrade:
"NOTE: Save games from v1.00 and 1.01 ARE COMPATIBLE with v1.10, provided that you save your turn-based games in the COMMAND phase (not the replay phase) BEFORE upgrading to v1.10."

But it does seem it also works, if you just make your turn as you normally would, with the inconvenience of watching the movie phase with the soundbug. Then just making your turn and send file to the opponent. Looks like this works for me an marseu...

So maybe better be cautious upgrading to GL (v1.10) before finishing older PBEMs as I think 2 different installs (CMFI v1.01 and CMFI/GL v1.10) are not possible.

For your info, this is not true.

You can just copy your CMFI folder to another folder, for example "CMFI v1.01".
Then apply the update to your old "main" folder.
If you need, you can create a shortcut "CMFI v1.01" to the Exe in the folder with the same name.

Voila, two versions of CMFI installed and working.

Rinse and repeat ad nauseum for more versions, until you hit the limit of your available hard disk space.
Basically, there is one current folder with the latest upgrade and potentially unlimited old versions.

Thanks for the info. I just got this from the Battlefront Support Forum.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=109907

I just read this very quick as it was not relevant to my problem. But there seems to be some issues with a two CMFI issues. If it is true of wrong I don`t know.

Also true, since CMFI introduced the split-directory concept, where the game Core files (Exe, brz-archives, some other data stuff) is kept in the install directory, while all your campaigns, scenarios, QBs, Save games, PBEM files and mods will be kept in a "My Documents/Battlefront" folder.
So in theory, you now have two installs using the same user files - but the real incompatibilites only come from maybe a handful of mods which alter the "Strings.txt" file, which is always version specific. Therefore, it is easy to identify the offending mods (Vins Animated text, for example) and remove them. All other stuff, especially textures (which are by far the majority), could stay there. They might cause some glitches, but even then it is always easy to identify the mod, in my experience. For example, I use an UI mod which provides nice graphics for all weapon systems, hand held weapons, tanks etc. Since new stuff is added with GL, the mod will now only cover a part of all weapon systems, giving a strange look in the UI. You now have the option of removing the UI mod and wait for the update or just live with it (also until an update becomes available). Both options are possible.

Also, I keep seeing the recommendation of emptying your Mods folder before applying an update.
This is a myth and not necessary, if you know what you're doing - which isn't rocket science, just put each mod into an individually named folder under the main "Mods" folder. Then remove any folder modifying "Strings.txt". This can be done after updating, or before, doesn't matter. The contents of the mod folder largely does not affect CMx2 during start-up and only takes effect when changing to the 3D view. There are exceptions, but only a few. By emptying the Mod folder, conflicts are avoided 100% sure, but if you have between 50 to 100 mods installed, this is rather like cutting of your whole leg to remove an ingrown toenail. ;)

Thanks for these infos. They might come handy in the future.

Back
Top Bottom