Tatty old rag

P

PoorOldSpike

A group of teenagers jumped out of their van outside a sleepy English country pub and sat at a table in the pub yard supping cold beer under the hot sun.
Then they noticed a flagpole standing over in the corner flying a dirty creased threadbare flag and began laughing at it.
An old boy was sitting with his pint nearby and one of them called out to him - "Hey gramps, what's that tatty old rag doing up there? Ha ha ha!"
The man smiled, looked up at the flag and said "Yes, it's looking the worse for wear, I'll grant you that.
See them holes? - She got them from American militia when she was carried up Bunker Hill...
And those cuts she got from the bayonets of Napoleons Imperial Guard at Waterloo...
The rips she got from Mexicans when she flew alongside the American flag with the 26 Brits at the Alamo..
And those rents were made by French and Spanish chainshot when she flew from the masthead of the Victory at Trafalgar...
The powder burns are from when the Light Brigade charged with her into the teeth of Russian cannons...
See the scorch marks,she was almost burnt up when the Zulus set fire to Rorkes Drift..
The muddy streaks are Flanders mud, and the shrapnel tears are from the Alamein minefields..
The ingrained sand is from the Normandy beaches, and her colours got faded a little bit when the Desert Rats helped liberate Kuwait...
As for the dark red spots and smears all over her,well I'm sure you don't need me to tell you what they are..."

flag1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom