The commanders second go....

Bootie

FGM OWNER
Staff member
Reaction score
Having had a go at my first diorama I wanted to try another. I originally bought some Afrika Korps 1:72 scale but they are just way too fiddly. I plumped for this Dragon Fallschirmjager 80mm Mortar Crew : Italy '44.

IMG_0171.jpg

I picked up some new paints... some scenery and tonight whilst awaiting turns I started on the base for the model.

Im quite happy the way it turned out.... excuse the quality of the pictures... my camera was out of juice so I had to revert to my iphone cam.

Below is the starting point. Over the next day or two I will trim the vegetation to the correct height and touch in some of the earth tones.

IMG_0170.jpg

Very nice... Seems as if I'll have to post some of my current work again, too (although no WW2 stuff).

Started painting up the figures.... I started with a base coat of desert yellow then built up layers... olive green and flat brown for camo colours then a watery olive green wash followed by watery brown wash.

Im happy with how it turned out but due to my crappy camera taking blurry pictures the photos dont do it justice. Im sure you get the jist though.

DSC02807.jpg
DSC02803.jpg

Nice work, how did you take-on painting the base?

I started the base with a polystyrene 5x5 inch square. I applied foam putty to make a few contours. I then gave it a coating of PVC glue and applied sand to the glue and some small stone ballast. The original grass was purchased from HobbyCraft but it was too thick to simulate grass so I went back to the drawing board and cut the grass out re-applying PVA glue and sand. I then put some Galeforce woodland scenic grass sparingly on it. The broken tree was made from a dry twig I collected from the garden with lichen used to simulate the dead foliage. Other lichen was used with a green wash to simulate the a bush.

The figures were given a dusting with my Tamiya weathering stick and applied all over... I wanted that dusty look on my troops uniforms and I think dusting them up makes them look a lot better. At present Im working on the 3rd figure. I still ahve some groundwork to apply and the addition of the remaining 2 figures and then it will be finished. Here are some pics of where I stand now.

DSC02816.jpg
DSC02817.jpg
DSC02820.jpg
DSC02821.jpg
DSC02823.jpg
DSC02825.jpg
DSC02826.jpg
DSC02827.jpg

I love it, a small, simple scene. Your skill and craftmanship really bring it to life.

Excellent work.

Excellent! I've been dabbling in the hobby for years and can't compare to your efforts. Well done. Careful you don't get hooked...

Great paint job.

In my opinion though, I think it would be cool to have the guy with his hands on his ears near the mortar.

It seems like he's afraid of the noise and perhaps too far away from the action. Kind of splits your view.

Just my take on it....

I have moved him closer and am working on the last figure before finishing of the base.

Thanks for your comments and points everyone. :)

Back
Top Bottom